Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

After reformat pc still has virus's

• Please log in to reply

lostris

lostris

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Before i reformatted my pc was taken over by virus's and was incapable of removing them.

So i reformatted, installed Windows XP and installed the missing drivers. To install some of the drives i had to reconnect my pc to the internet and download them. And i had a couple of drivers on a pen drive, which I had reformatted before putting the drivers onto it and then onto the pc.

I tried to install AVG but AVG said the computer needed to be of a certain level of update for it to install.

So i tried to do windows update. The internet then cut off during the update and stopped working.

If i restart the modem the internet works for about 5 to 10 minutes before stopping again.

I installed a virus checker that did install and it found virus's but this virus checker is not able to remove virus's.

Where am i getting these virus's? Is it once i connect to the internet? Is it from my pen drive even though i reformatted before putting the drivers onto it and then the pc.

How can i reformat my computer without getting these virus's, and install AVG?

Thanks

Advertisements

GEGeek

GEGeek

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
As a rule I never connect my pc to the net before it's fully protected. It can happen that quick. Couple of things come to mind you can try. Before you format with the Windows CD again make sure you delete all the partitions and recreate them. Then format and try again. This time have your programs on an ext usb drive/CD downloaded from a friend's pc. Besides AVG I would also load Spywareblaster as well. Maybe even pay for Malwarebytes and have it run resident before connecting to the net again. Maybe you should consider Vipre. It has a resident virus and spyware scanner.
It's unfortunate that we have to take these precautions but such is the world.
I once saw the Monkey2 virus stay resident in memory while the formatting of the drive was taking place. Then when you finished and started loading windows in jumped back onto the hard drive. The simple solution, after an annoying week, was to simply power off the pc while formatting was taking place. The virus died in memory.
Hope all goes well.

numinbah

numinbah

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
If you are unable to connect to microsoft update but can still get on to Microsft you have got the DNSChecker Virus it goes under a lot of names
and it is a Router virus.

lostris

lostris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
numinbah i dont have a router.

GEgeek i did what you said. Vipre found virus's and removed them.

After that the internet stays connected.

But i still can't download windows updates. It says:

"Problem: Please check your update history for a description.
Update for Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) 2.0 and WinHTTP 5.1 (KB842773) "

I don't think i can install AVG 8 on my version of windows, so i'll try AVG 7.5 or a different virus checker, any recommendations, or is Vipre sufficient?

Also i can't install adaware because FLTLIB.DLL was not found.

Plus when i put my pen drive into my pc and then take it out and put into my fully protected laptop, AVG finds two virus's on the pen drive.

Edited by lostris, 20 January 2009 - 06:19 PM.

GEGeek

GEGeek

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Lostris,
I just joined this forum and they have strict rules about helping others out with infected PCs. I wasn't aware of this until today. I don't want to step on anyone's toes so I would suggest that you request some help from one of the many techs here that are trained to do so. They'll probably have you submit a log file to them for analysis and tell you exactly what is wrong. I will keep monitoring the thread to see how you make out.
Good luck to you.

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
A full reformat will rid you of just about any virus, rootkit etc. Your pen drive is the culprit. Go to the malware forum and post a hijack log. Your pen drive can be cleaned there.

lostris

lostris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

A full reformat will rid you of just about any virus, rootkit etc. Your pen drive is the culprit. Go to the malware forum and post a hijack log. Your pen drive can be cleaned there.

So if i reformat and dont use my pen drive at all, my computer should be ok?

GEGeek

GEGeek

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I would also delete the partitions and recreate them through the Windows install CD, just to be sure, but yes I believe you should be fine.
Just make sure your pen drive is clean, as was already mentioned.
Download your drivers and such from another pc and save them to CD AND stay off the net till fully protected.

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
You really , probably dont need to reformat at all, as it can be cleaned ( pendrive and computer). But if you are going to reformat keep the pendrive out of that machine (all machines actually) until it is cleaned properly. Those infections spread very rapidly similar to this http://tech.yahoo.co...fjMX6QAwYkszJV4

Good luck