Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

word

• Please log in to reply

handbaggirl

handbaggirl

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Having downloaded a trial version of Office Publisher i can now open files theat were closed to me. If i open these , can i move them into Word or someplace else that will allow me to see them once the trial period is over?

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I would say yes provided you do a Save as and save them with an extension that Word recognizes. Try it with one and open the document in Word. If it looks ok or you can edit it to look like you want, then you're good to go. Possibly do a search for all the same file types that you need to change. Just a suggestion to make sure you don't miss any before the trial runs out. You might look into OpenOffice Suite which is free and has all the good stuff MS Office has.

handbaggirl

handbaggirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks, id like to try that but im not savvy enough to actually know what you are talking about LOL

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Which part did you not get? I blabber on sometimes so there's a lot there. :)

handbaggirl

handbaggirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Sorry, the thing is, when someone mentions extentions i have no idea what that means, so i wouldnt know how to "save as" my copy of the publisher doc in a way that word would recognise, i dont use publisher myself, this is for my husband, who knows slightly less that i do, blind leading the blind in our case. So if you could maybe explain a little that would help me a lot, many thanks in advance.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Word normally has the extension "*.doc" which is what you want to save your files as in the trial program you are using. It may or may not give more examples like: *.doc type for Word 2003, *.doc type for Word 2007, or something similar. Pick the format of the "save as" for the Word version you are using. You might get a popup notice that some formatting may be lost in saving as into a Word document. That'll be OK as long as you get it saved as a Word document as you can edit later if need be.

In the trial program you are using, the "Save as" part should be under the "File" menu at the top left. Or try an Alt + F to highlight that menu and scroll down the sub-menus to select the "Save as".

handbaggirl

handbaggirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Cheers, I will have a go at that.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
If that doesn't help, will ask other techs if they will help on this.

handbaggirl

handbaggirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
No it didnt, im pulling my hair out lol, i dont really know enough tech stuff, i just muddle along, but i'll take any help thats going, i did however manage to save one file as a PDF file, so maybe im getting better and wiser lol .....Cheers!

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Well, a PDF file is better than nothing, but why are you having problems with saving as a doc type in the trial program? Doesn't it give you choices?

handbaggirl

handbaggirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
yes it does but wont save them as the are written. We have decide that as long as we can print these files off its ok, i downloadedthe open office suite and my husband is going to use that in future, thanks for all your help!!!

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You're welcome. I knew it wouldn't save as written because some formatting is usually lost when converting between doc types. I think you'll love OpenOffice. It also allows you to save as a Word file any that you should want to open in Word.