Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboard Failure...?

• Please log in to reply

suniloneal34

suniloneal34

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a Dell Dimension 4600 Desktop with Windows XP on it. When I start the computer it says Keyboard Failure, this is immediately on powering up. It powers up through and gets to Windows XP and I can use the computer fine. Once into Windows the keyboard does not work.

Steps I have taken so far with no success
1. Tried a different keyboard
2. Tried putting a p/s 2 (?) to USB converter on a keyboard and plugging it into a USB drive

I want to re-install XP etc my computer but I can't really log onto my main administrator user because it requires a password (and i can't type).
Any suggestions on what this could be a problem with, or how to fix it???

Thanks =)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

1. Tried a different keyboard

as in a different PS/2 keyboard? have you tried a USB keyboard? can you get into bios (usually f2 or del during bootup)?

suniloneal34

suniloneal34

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yeah I tried a different PS/2 keyboard. I didn't try a "USB" keyboard but converted a PS/2 keyboard into a USB keyboard with the little green converter thing you can use. Shouldn't make a difference...if it did that would mean that the converter is faulty, not the computer (which is highly unlikely). I tried cleaning the inside of the computer as well just to make sure it wasn't some nonsense dust issue.

At this point it sounds like a keyboard controller failure? Meaning I am pretty much out of luck since that is part of the motherboard? No, I can't get into Bios or anything. At no time does it let me use the keyboard to do any input. It says "Keyboard Failure" right at the very beginning.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

At this point it sounds like a keyboard controller failure?

there's no such thing...there's a PS/2 port and a USB port...what you plug into them are irrelevant

I didn't try a "USB" keyboard but converted a PS/2 keyboard into a USB keyboard with the little green converter thing you can use. Shouldn't make a difference...if it did that would mean that the converter is faulty, not the computer (which is highly unlikely).

you would be surprised...those are usually the FIRST thing i throw in the trash...those go bad ALL the time and for no apparent reason...

if you can get your hands on a USB keyboard and try it in the system it would be helpful

suniloneal34

suniloneal34

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'll give it a shot, i'm sure one of my friends has a USB keyboard i can test out. The USB converter is brand new though...so that is why I thought that it was probably not the problem. If it makes any difference, there is an LED A B C D on the back on my Dell right above the PS/2 keyboard and mouse inputs. It eventually the ABCD are all green lighted (as opposed to orange i guess) so it doesn't seem like there should be a keyboard controller problem. Might give Dell a call and see if they can shed any light on that.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,529 posts
As per your manual, all green lites indicate a fully operational computer.

Dell 4600 Manual

suniloneal34

suniloneal34

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well have gone through imaginable scenario at this point. Even took apart the comp, took out the lithium battery, powered up for a min, turned off, replugged in and still same error. At this point, seems like a new motherboard is the only option. I think I am just going to spring for a new computer. Had this one for a good 6 years or so...

gameboy x

gameboy x

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i have the same error. i've got a dell dimension 4600. i get the same keyboard failure message but i can press f8 to start the computer in safe mode. the up and down arrows work fine there too. but once i get to the log in screen any key i hit freezes the keyboard and mouse. my cursor still blinks but that's it. i've reverted to the on-screen keyboard but my index finger is beginning to go numb. if you have any advice or suggestions i will be highly appreciative.