Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard shot..how do i transfer files

• Please log in to reply

MikeE023

MikeE023

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
My motherboard crashed on one of my computers. I have a new computer that I wanna transfer the files to. How do i go about doing this? They are both running XP. Thanks

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

My motherboard crashed on one of my computers. I have a new computer that I wanna transfer the files to. How do i go about doing this? They are both running XP. Thanks

Motherboard died?

Depending on what interface the old hard drive runs on ide or sata just plug it onto the mobo as a secondary drive. This means it will not be the (Primary Hard drive) as the one already in your NEWER pc is the PRIMARY boot drive with the operating system on it.

The hard drive will pick up if you have it connected correctly and you might have to configure it properly in the bios (DEPENDING on certain situations).. You gave me limited info but this is really easy to setup. If both hard drive interfaces are different you will have to go into the bios for sure and make check the other hard drive is pickup up properly. Might have to change hard drive mode etc..

MikeE023

MikeE023

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
They are the same type of hardrive. I plugged the old hardrive into my new computer but it wont pick it up. How do I configure it in bios?

MikeE023

MikeE023

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ok I got it working but, the user folder where my files are had a password and it keeps telling me that access is denied when I try to open it. How do I go about getting my files from there?