Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer shuts down randomly.

• Please log in to reply

pp111

pp111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
It's about 3 years old I think, and I've laid it on its side and raised it up so that it can get more ventilation, but unfortunately I do not have any compressed air, but I did blow some of the dust off.

Thanks, I'll be back tommorrow.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
No problem. Have that house fan ready, as well.

pp111

pp111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Can't find a reasonable sized fan, so I might just end up using an unreasonably sized one. My computer did NOT crash last night, which can't be bad news. Would buying a new power supply fix this problem, or is it just due to age?

pp111

pp111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Just read an online fix which essentially takes out a wire which without it makes the fan go maximum speed. I'd rather have noise than crashes, but I'm still not entirely sold on it.

Going to do more reading!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
We won't know much more until you clean the computer inside, and you hire some house fan.

CyBrShRk

CyBrShRk

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am responsible for over 500 Dell GX270, GX620, 740 and 755s at my job. I can say without a doubt if it is a GX270 it is either swelling capacitors on mobo or psu. If it's the others it's the psu. I replaced nearly 300 GX270 psu's myself, not including the failures at the other campuses. The GX620s, which is what I use at work for now, I've replaced about 40% of those psu's.

pp111

pp111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I think it's probably the psu also, from all I've read, the one in the xps 200 (which is the small case xps, worst design job imaginable) is especially bad. My question is though, if it's the psu, would replacing it actually fix it or delay the inevitable? I ask because my warranty is up. Also, I've been told it might be that the cooling gel on the cpu has evaporated?

pp111

pp111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Ok, I cleaned it out and have it under my desk in one of those shelf type things made for a computer with a window fan facing it. Temp staying down in mid 50's, and haven't crashed since thursday, although I was out of town friday-sunday.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Well, the power supply still may be an issue, but it looks like you're facing simple overheating.
Your next step, would be to reapply thermal paste: http://www.arcticsil...nstructions.htm

Edited by Broni, 27 January 2009 - 06:04 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I am responsible for over 500 Dell GX270, GX620, 740 and 755s at my job. I can say without a doubt if it is a GX270 it is either swelling capacitors on mobo or psu. If it's the others it's the psu. I replaced nearly 300 GX270 psu's myself, not including the failures at the other campuses. The GX620s, which is what I use at work for now, I've replaced about 40% of those psu's.

to CyBrShRk...THANKS FOR THIS INFO... :)
when you have lots of the same make and model of equipment...and your responsible to keep them running...you soon uncover the design flaws...
IE:... pattern of the same components failing...wish we had more members like you that are in charge of lots of systems post their findings too...keep up the good work... :)

Edited by happyrock, 28 January 2009 - 05:53 PM.

Advertisements

pp111

pp111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
alright, I will try and get a hold of some of that, thanks.

1 question though, when I'm applying it, does it matter if my computer is lying flat or upright?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

does it matter if my computer is lying flat or upright?

No, why?