Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

If it was you, how would you build it?

• Please log in to reply

alphaguy

alphaguy

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I am currently considering buying a computer. I want it to be as powerful for gaming as possible, for the lowest price, as possible.

I want SLI or Crossfire.

It has to be a Quad core computer

If its AMD, it has to be phenom II
If its Intel, it has to be core 2 quad
or even I7 if u can fit in within budget.

I have 1k Cad set out for this, and workin my [bleep] off trying to make a computer like that for 800, so i have 200 left over for a monitor

(Btw 1000 cad = 800 usd)

I know video cards, but not motherboards, so i would also like some comments on whatever motherboard you are to choose.

Lastly I have cd/dvd drives and case, so you can leave that out. Other than that, i'll need to buy everything

yep.. I am extremely curious to see what the peepz here at G2G has to say about it, so im posting this here before I buy.

Please, tell me what you would use, and if you can, tell why, so ultimately.. How would you do it

Whatever opinion you guys have would be awesome, Thanks :)

I sense this is either a fail thread or a very long one

Oh and lastly, is this a good deal?

newegg.ca/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.153682

oh and side note, i hope im not breaking any rules by posting this, so if i did, SORRY

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I am currently considering buying a computer. I want it to be as powerful for gaming as possible, for the lowest price, as possible.

I want SLI or Crossfire.

It has to be a Quad core computer

If its AMD, it has to be phenom II
If its Intel, it has to be core 2 quad
or even I7 if u can fit in within budget.

I have 1k Cad set out for this, and workin my [bleep] off trying to make a computer like that for 800, so i have 200 left over for a monitor

(Btw 1000 cad = 800 usd)

I know video cards, but not motherboards, so i would also like some comments on whatever motherboard you are to choose.

Lastly I have cd/dvd drives and case, so you can leave that out. Other than that, i'll need to buy everything

yep.. I am extremely curious to see what the peepz here at G2G has to say about it, so im posting this here before I buy.

Please, tell me what you would use, and if you can, tell why, so ultimately.. How would you do it

Whatever opinion you guys have would be awesome, Thanks :)

I sense this is either a fail thread or a very long one

Oh and lastly, is this a good deal?

newegg.ca/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.153682

oh and side note, i hope im not breaking any rules by posting this, so if i did, SORRY

With that budget you won't be able to afford a core i7. So I would go for the AMD Phenom II X4 920 2.8GHz on a solid mobo, 4gb ram and a Single slot Solution HIGH end video card IMO.

You really do not need SLI or Crossfire if you get the right card..

This gigabyte mobo is a good deal for an amd phenom II setup.. No need to spend $200+ dollars on a phenom II mobo with your budget and expectations.. Only con it runs at 8x/8x in a dual card setup.. So IF you want SLI/Crossfire do not get this mobo..

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128352

IF you want to run dual card setup @ 16x + 16x you will end up spending $180-$200 atleast.
For $188.99 this is the best overall mobo from asus.. It does have support for up to 4 video cards but if you run 3 or 4 cards the slots will NOT all run at 16x, just read specifications if you want more info.. Will run a dual card setup at 16x + 16x though. :)

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131339

4gb of ram such as gskill etc.. DDR2 ram is so cheap now you will want to get 4gb. Do not get 2gb as it does not make sense. You will need a 64 bit operating system to actually see the full 4gb ram show up within windows. If you want more than 4gb of ram you will need a 64 bit os too. If you use a 32 bit operating system it will show up as 3.25gb or 3.5gb in windows.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231122

That is just a start as you have some decisions to make. If you want a good sli/crossfire mobo it will be about $200

Edited by jrm20, 22 January 2009 - 11:16 PM.

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
I just want to chime in and say that one of the best retailers in Canada is NCIX.com and they can do pricematch (their sister company, Direct Canada usually has the lowest price and you can use their prices) and excellent (in my opinion) customer support.

They also allow you to choose which shipping courier you like (different prices of course).
With Newegg.ca, you're stuck with using UPS as a courier and I have heard bad things about them.
Direct Canada is a very small company and its hard to contact them.

NCIX is located in BC though.

Kamille

alphaguy

alphaguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
thanks jrm, but i was wondering what video card you would suggest for ATI...... cuz i know nothing aboot ati..been nvidia fan for too long xD

and thanks kamille i didnt know they would pricematch direct canada, but yes i do know ncix is pretty awesome, just for some of the things im lookin for aint exactly the best price right now

alphaguy

alphaguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
http://www.newegg.ca...st=Combo.155228

Secondly, is this a good deal? (for prices in USD, just change .ca to .com)

seems tempting :)

but of course, i dont know if the motherboard's reliable

Edited by alphaguy, 23 January 2009 - 01:25 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

http://www.newegg.ca...st=Combo.155228

Secondly, is this a good deal? (for prices in USD, just change .ca to .com)

seems tempting :)

but of course, i dont know if the motherboard's reliable

You could do a lot better for the motherboard as the one above you linked only runs SLI at 8x + 8x mode kinda defeats the purpose IMO maybe not to everyone.

A better mobo deal would be this one..

http://www.newegg.ca...N82E16813157134

Good solid mobo and supports 3 cards in SLI. The first 2 (green) slots operate in full 16x when ran in SLI which is good..

IF you want best bang for the buck this is a super DEAL..

http://www.newegg.ca...N82E16813157139

Solid and Cheap board.

It only has one 16x slot then the other runs at 8x slot.. This one actually runs sli and crossfire and is cheap.

Some of these boards actually support both sli and crossfire also you just have to research it or go onto the mobo's manufacturer website.

Edited by jrm20, 23 January 2009 - 06:33 PM.