Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video card upgrade

• Please log in to reply

Joe7

Joe7

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am using vista on a hp pavillion a1710n desktop and currently have GeForce 6150LE video card. I am trying to run Great Planes Real Flight G4.5 which recommends I use a: 3D accelerated video with, 32MB dedicated video memory, full windows DirectX 9 compliant (pixel shader 2.0 support).

My problem is the graphics are choppy and very slow which makes this whole program kind of useless to me because of this. The more detailed the airports are the worse it gets, Everything is soooooo slowwwww!!

Is this because of the video card?

From what I can see and please correct me if I am wrong but my video card seems to already meet their system requirements??? Or not, honestly I do not know a whole lot about computers but really want to solve my issue so I can enjoy my software.

Please help.

Thanks.

Joe

Advertisements

gclipse02

gclipse02

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
The problem with video cards in laptops is that they can't be upgraded. The on-board card in the laptop uses your RAM as it's memory. Even though RAM is fast, this still slows the computer down. Open your Task Manager, and leave it running while you play the game. Then quickly go back to the TM and view the CPU usage and Memory usage. Maybe increasing your RAM will help. Or if the memory usage is high, try stopping some of the excess programs that are running. That will be about all you can do for your system when it comes to video improvement on a laptop

Joe7

Joe7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
This computer is not a laptop, it is a desktop. HP Pavilion a1710n, current video card id GE Force 6150 LE. Sorry for any confusion.