Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Swapping hard drive

• Please log in to reply

elldallan

elldallan

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Hope someone can advise me. I have 2 pc's neither particulary brilliant but cant afford a nice new shiny one. Here is my question..... One of my pc's is running xp with 2 hard drives both IDE, one with windows and the other (newer,bigger etc) as an additional drive with my music, films, itunes etc and I would like to swap this one to my other pc which is running vista home premium on a 300gb SATA drive. Now ? will I be able to plug in my IDE drive with my music etc and will my pc boot up and recognise it or will it not. Am hoping I can swap this drive over to save transfering all the files and so my music etc is still on a seperate drive. My motherboard has both sata and ide (dfi lanpartyut nf4 ultra-D) or will this not work. Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You should not have a problem. You would mount it as a slave (2nd drive). Vista should recognise it and it should show up as another drive letter.

elldallan

elldallan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
sweet, thanks for that , took a lot of worry off my shoulders and not to mention time to transfer stuff needlessly. thanks again