Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I am ready to throw my Netgear out in the street...

• Please log in to reply

FrustratedWithCharter

FrustratedWithCharter

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I swithced to Charter back in September '08 and since Ive had cable interent with them, I have had nothing but problems. To get to the point, the main issue that I am having is trying to play games over Xbox Live. I typically play Call of Duty 4 and Call of Duty: World at War and I can usually get in about 2 matches of team deathmatch before my modem resets itself and I have to wait for 5 mintues for it to reboot and sign back into Live. I have done everything to DMZ host, static IP, port forwarding....everything that myself and the Charter tech. people could think of to try and resolve this problem, but nothing seems to work. Im desperate for a solution that doesnt include changing ISP's...It has gotten so bad that I can barely finish, on a good day, a 10 minute match before it reboots by itself. I am extremely frustrated with this happening and anyone that could give any advice/help, I would greatly appreciate it. Aside from Netgear's known compatibility issues with Xbox, the thing works just fine for my computer, as I do not experience problems while using my computer on the net or playing games. Again, any help or advice is appreciated.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey FrustratedWithCharter,

I know you said that you've tried "everything", but I'm inclined to say that this is a firmware issue. Have you updated your router/modem to the latest firmware? I only ask because you say you can browse the Internet/download files fine -- this suggests two things: (1) your modem isn't having capacity issues and (2) this isn't a power supply or faulty hardware issue. Since X-Box Live is a relatively new concept, if you have outdated firmware, your modem may have some form of compatibility issues.

I think it's unlikely that this is an ISP issue. What's the make/model of your router and/or modem?

- Dan

FrustratedWithCharter

FrustratedWithCharter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
It is a Netgear wireless cable modem gateway CG814GCMR

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
I take my comment back about it not being an ISP issue. Since the modem they gave you (I believe) has ISP-specific firmware installed, I have a feeling that it is having compatibility issues with the X-Box.

To be perfectly blunt, I think the modem they gave you won't even properly support your X-Box Live -- I would be hounding your ISP for a replacement that will provide you with the functionality that you require.

The modem resetting points to bad firmware, and the bad firmware points to your ISP -- this might sound like I'm not "trying" to help and simply shafting this problem onto your ISP, but I honestly believe that this is the case.

- Dan

FrustratedWithCharter

FrustratedWithCharter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Heh, your input is appreciated and the real pain about the this whole thing, is that this IS the replacement modem...Last time I asked them to give me a different model, they assured me that this netgear was the only one they had available. In short, I think I'm going to just buy my own cable modem and call it good. Thank you for your input.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

the real pain about the this whole thing, is that this IS the replacement modem...

Really? :) Did you mention to them specifically that you use X-Box Live? Because I'm pretty sure that a few customers from Charter have actually reported that that modem had issues, and got replacements.

But yeah, I do think a new modem will fix your issues, even though I don't like suggesting buying new hardware :) One thing you could try doing would be to post in our Game forum, as there may be some settings or other in the X-Box that I'm not familiar with. It's worth a shot.

FrustratedWithCharter

FrustratedWithCharter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Not 100% certain, but Im thinking that I have tried everything that can be done with different settings with the Xbox as i have contacted them directly and spoke with their reps several times trying to figure out if there was something wrong with my box...I will be contacting Charter and telling them about the incompatibility issues AGAIN and hopefully they will be able and willing to do something about it. Again, thanks for your help, and Im all for new shine-E stuff as long as it goes above and beyond the old garbage...currently looking at Linksys Wireless-G Cable Gateway WCG200.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Can you let me know how your chat with your ISP goes, please?

- Dan

FrustratedWithCharter

FrustratedWithCharter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I certainly will.

FrustratedWithCharter

FrustratedWithCharter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Well I have finally gotten my issues resolved. After speaking with Charter, the only wireless cable modem thay they have available was the Netgear that I already had. So, I went out and bought a LinkSys router and exchanged my wireless modem for a basic Motorolla cable modem. So far the new modem coupled with the wireless router is working great! I really hope that all of my issues are resolved. Thank you again for your help.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Thanks for taking the time to post how you managed to resolve your issue -- it is appreciated. I'm happy to see that the new modem isn't giving you any grief :)

Hopefully you don't hit any more hurdles, but if you do, don't hesitate to post :)

- Dan

FrustratedWithCharter

FrustratedWithCharter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Heh, believe me, this will be one of the first places I turn to for advice. Thanks again Dan.

-Dallas