Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HD Help

• Please log in to reply

Miss Kris

Miss Kris

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron 1100 that the HD crashed on. I installed a new HD but only have a desk top that is 5"x7" and has poor to no graphics. :)
Are there drivers that I need to find or maybe because the orig HD was 30Gb and this one is 160GB somethings isn't recognizing something else. I made sure that the HD was EID like the old one.
Somebody PLEASE help! :)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Go to Dell's website and download all the drivers for your model, you can look it up by your Service Tag for all the drivers you need.

Miss Kris

Miss Kris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I can't get online. The thing won't recognize the software for my modem when I try to install it.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Forgive me but if you can read this forum then you're obviously online somehow :)
You can download the drivers you need on another computer and burn them to CD or a pen drive and then take that to the computer that needs drivers.

Miss Kris

Miss Kris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
OK, I'll try that. Thanks Neil :)

Miss Kris

Miss Kris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I downloaded the drivers from DELL for my system onto a cruzer, then transfered them to my laptop but they won't open. I have no programs to open them with. I'm so confused. :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi Miss Kris,

Either the downloads will be executable files (ie. they will run by themselves), or they will be the direct driver files themselves, meaning you'll need to head to the device manager and install them manually.

What's the extension on the files you have copied over?

Troy

Miss Kris

Miss Kris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
One of them is a zip file and one of them is .exe, I thought the exe. should run by itself too, but it tells me to choose which program to open it with and I have no programs that will do it. i tried them all. As for the zip file I downloaded winzip and transfered it, but it won't open either.
I'm sure there was something I was supposed to do when i put the new HD in, but did not.
Right now i am running 2000. But I want to replace it with ME, unfortunatly 2000 won't allow me to override it. I suppose I will have to take it in to be corrected. I thought I could update it. but with the $ I'm going to spend I could have just bought a new one. :)
Thanks Troy for any help you can give.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Chances are You need to extract (unzip) the zip file to a folder by itself.
Then I would guess you should go to device manager and when asked where the driver is, point it to the appropriate folder.

Miss Kris

Miss Kris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
That sounds so easy, but isn't. i'm not sure where in the device manager I need to try and apply anything and I'm afraid of messing something up even more.
Thank you for all the advice, but I guess I'm going to call a computer doctor. :)