Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade Video Card, Question on Bios Setting

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
I recently installed an AGP based GeForce N6600 video card 256MB memory and have a question about my Bios settings.

Under Bios, Advanced, there's a Video Configuration window with two options:

AGP Aperture Size 64MB

Primary Video Adapter AGP

I've already selected the Primary Video Adapter to be AGP rather than PCI, but I just looked at the AGP Aperture Size, which is set at 64MB and am wondering if I need to set that at 256MB since that's what my video card is. When I select AGP Aperture Size, it will allow me to select 256MB. Should I do that, and does that mean my video card has been running at less than optimal performance because this setting was at 64MB rather than 256MB?

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
AGP Aperture Size sets aside some of your system RAM to store information for the graphics card. It was mainly used for old AGP cards with 16MB or less of video RAM that couldn't hold all of the necessary information for a game or video rendering. The 6600 isn't really powerful enough to run games that would require more than 256MB of video RAM, so it is best if you leave the setting at its default, 64MB.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

AGP Aperture Size sets aside some of your system RAM to store information for the graphics card. It was mainly used for old AGP cards with 16MB or less of video RAM that couldn't hold all of the necessary information for a game or video rendering. The 6600 isn't really powerful enough to run games that would require more than 256MB of video RAM, so it is best if you leave the setting at its default, 64MB.

Thanks for the reply and the explanation. I do plan to upgrade my video card very soon and am looking at a GeForce 7600 GS 512MB or a Radeon X1950 XT 512MB. Once that's done, should I still leave the AGP Aperture setting at it's default? This sounds like a feature that should only be used for video cards that don't have much memory of their own.

Edited by konakula29er, 24 January 2009 - 03:30 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Yup, exactly.