Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Urgent info please

• Please log in to reply

consonar

consonar

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey- I have an older Dell that came equipped with windows ME. The internet at my house is wireless period. I installed a wireless adapter to my computer, it has a signal but won't register through, I believe, Windows ME. I was given a new copy of XP to install so that the wireless software would finally work, etc. The problem is that my C: drive does not have enough memory to load XP and there is not enough stuff to delete to free up enough memory. The only program that would free up enough memory is if I could somehow delete Windows ME. Is this the only way I can solve my problem and if I delete windows ME will I be able to operate the system to still install windows XP. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Realistically if the computer came with ME it's more likely too old to run XP happily without spending a fortune on obsolete technology to make it capable of running XP. Even then it's never going to fly. You'd probably have to give it a bigger hard drive, some more memory, possibly something else as well and by the time you've done all that you could have gone down the road and bought an entire new unit that came with XP or Vista already installed and get far better performance for what can be half the price of spending money on that old one.

Edited by Neil Jones, 25 January 2009 - 05:24 AM.

consonar

consonar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks