Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need to buy an external Hard Drive.

• Please log in to reply

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
We can recommend hard drives and enclosures based on our own personal choice. What is best for me may not be what the other person likes.

You can search and find a backup system (external enclosure) that is one touch (set it and walk away). These are enclosures and drives that a company puts together on what they feel is best. It would have an enclosure AND a drive that they want you to have.

I have given you an enclosure that both my son and I now prefer (at the present time). We have both had issues with the fans on the enclosures going bad, as well as poor cables, and difficult to install and remove the drive. My son and I use them for backups and will swap drives in and out on a couple of them. For us, easy access to opening and closing the enclosure.

debo3381 has given you an enclosure on what he prefers.

It sounds like both of us prefer to buy an enclosure and add a hard drive. That is our choice.

What you have chosen from ebay as a 1tb drive is all and good. Personally, I do not like ebay. I have had issues. You can buy that drive for $109.00 and pay shipping.
Or go to HERE at Newegg and get it for $119.00 and free shipping (and its new). Is the one on ebay new? I believe this one is an ide drive.

You can also go to Newegg and get THIS ONE for $119.00 It is Sata and will be faster. Unfortunately I can not vouch for speed because I am partial to the ide drives. It is probably that I am an older person and this is new technology.

So as you see, we can recommend what we like. We can not buy it for you. That is your personal choice.

As a side note, I would bet that if 10 more people posted and gave their opinion, you would have 10 more choices and views of what they like.

If it was me, I would buy the enclosure that I recommended (sorry debo3381), and buy the 1TB sata drive.

FYI: Once you get the drive, it is just a matter of plugging in the power and the USB to the laptop. You will probably have to format it before it can be used. This is all after you put the drive in the enclosure.

If you need any more assistence, please post. And sorry I have been away most of the week. That is why this is a forum and there are others that are perfectly capable of helping.
Please let us know how you make out.

Advertisements

debo3381

debo3381

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
That is a slick looking case, is it fan cooled? For some strange reason that external HDD doesn't list the RPM. If it's 7200 then it's a great deal.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136299

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
debo3381, I can't give you any info on the case. It was just to show brady1988 that he can get the same case and drive at Newegg for $10.00 more with free shipping.

Not knowing anything on the case, it could have a small fan that would fail (been there, done that). The case could be so small you need a sledge to put the hard drive in to it (been there, done that 1 also)
I suspect it is probably 7200.

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
ohh i c but i will prefer runner to answer my request dont take it personally but i like the way he explains :)
so well hey thx anyway besides i dont like to buy things at different times (separated) in fact i just wanna buy the whole external hard drive plus the case included thx anyway! :)

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
well can u tell me then how is this external hard drive:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...:1|293:1|294:50

and here is a big list where that hard drive comes from:
http://shop.ebay.com...d...d=1&_sop=12

i just have to plug it into my computer by the USB right? i mean its kind easy and really good. is not a piece of crap as u said before :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I have looked at what you are interested in.
If this is what you want, then buy it.

Personally, I would not for the following reasons.
1. The exact item on Newegg site shows it as a de-activated item and as per the site:

What is a Deactivated Item?

When a product is out-of-stock, it may show as "Deactivated" on the item page. This could mean that the item is no longer available and we are searching for a new supplier. However, if an item has reached the end of its product life cycle and will no longer be available at all, the deactivation will be permanent.

2. I can not find any info regarding the drive (warranty/ RPM, cache,etc).
3. A customer review states it is 5400rpm.

I suspect that the 5400rpm is why it is deactivated. A 5400rmp is a slower drive vs 7200rpm.

The Sata drive (drive only) we linked to earlier has a 5 year limited parts and labor.

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
thx for answer, now i would like u to explain me a little bit more about this line:
Once you get the drive, it is just a matter of plugging in the power and the USB to the laptop. You will probably have to format it before it can be used. This is all after you put the drive in the enclosure.

so basically im gonna have to format my whole system to set up my external hard drive? now once i get my EHD im gonna have to connect the USB cable and the other thing and after that im gonna be able to transfer my files, movies,mp3 or whatever i want right?
is this is correct i will say to u thank u very much! i really appreciated ur help man.

have a ncie day. :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Different hard drives come different ways. I have seen standalone drives (drive only) both formatted and unformatted. Most are unformatted.
If you buy the entire enchilada (drive and enclosure) as one, it will probably already be formatted.
Notice I said probably!

Hard drives before they can be used, need to be formatted. Since you have a XP, I would recommend NTFS vs Fat32.

NO you do not need to format and reload the operating system! Just the external hard drive (if needed).

In easy terms: Plug the power in, plug the USB cable to the laptop USB. If the drive is recognised, the OS will tell you.
If you go to "my computer" and can see and access the drive, then it is formatted. If no access, then you will have to format it.

We will cover format, if it needs to be done.

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
so basically u guys will help me out with the formatting right?
alright thats great i will buy today and ill tell u when is arriving so i can tell u if it needs to be formatted or it doesnt.
thx buddy, i appreciate it . :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
yes

Advertisements

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Hey there runner im so sorry man i couldnt reply u back i just wanna tell u that i already bought the external hard drive from newegg that was yesterday so i guess i will get it by monday alright, and then ill talk to u about it thx man! have a nice day.

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
hey there Runner i have a real concern about my purchase about the external hard drive.
I bought like 3 days ago ( 1/30/2009 ) was on friday right so i didnt get anything till now i checked my account on newegg and it says shipped and a i also checked into my bank account and it says pending so they didnt cash the money yet but hey why do they take so long ? i mean its been like 4 days till now i would like u to explain me a little bet about it i have the recipe if u wanna check it out by PM but i wanna show this before :

Posted Image

at the end there is something that says: Void: your order is cancelled. What the... ?? man i know this is my order status but why it says order cancelled ?
hope u answer me man thank u!
have a great day tho. :)

Edited by brady1988, 02 February 2009 - 01:38 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Since I do not work for Newegg, I can not give you all the answers. However......

Your status is SHIPPED. This means the product shipped.
Had you looked a day earlier, the status might have been PACKAGED.

All this is, is a description of what each stage of the order process the order is in.
Your status is at the time. That changes as your order goes thru the system.

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
alright man! thx for that so well im gonna have to wait anyway :) ill keep in touch with u so i caninform u when i get the EHD.