Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can i stop downloads?

• Please log in to reply

plip73

plip73

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hi! . . . I need help! My brother has been carelessly downloading stuffs from the net without even knowing if it's safe of or not. . . And sadly the computer got a spyware but luckily the MBAM helped and got rid of it. . . Just wanna know if there is a way or a tool that could stop or block downloads. . . Please Help. . . . . . :)

Edited by plip73, 26 January 2009 - 04:40 AM.

Advertisements

xBPM07x

xBPM07x

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
You can block sites completely using the HOSTS file, for more information go here:

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Hosts_file

Also you could just Google search for a download blocker.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Hosts files will only block the sites.
The downloads on a site are probably available on hundreds more sites.
A totally fool-proof way to stop downloads is take the computer off the Internet.
Alternatively if its your brother's own computer and for his own use only, I'd be inclined to argue if he wants to stuff it up with malware, let him. :)

plip73

plip73

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Thanks . . But the Host file is quiet hard to undsrstand! lol :) . . I'll try to learn more about it first. . But thanks for the help .. . . .

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
just want to add to " Neil Jones " reply

If it is a shared computer , why not create different users , that way he can infect his own account ( athought they can spread... )

Good luck

Anthony19

PS: you can create an limited account for your brother ( not administrator account... )

Edited by Anthony19, 26 January 2009 - 08:22 PM.

xBPM07x

xBPM07x

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Yes, you can create a limited account. This will disable the feature to install software and modify system settings. This will prevent your brother from installing anything bad. But sometimes just downloading files can cause harm, so just talk to him about it (that is what I would do).

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
xBPM07x , well stated ( good point )

i think i would have to agree... talk to the person in control :)

plip73

plip73

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
thanks a lot for the help. . :)