Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

COM1 and COM2

• Please log in to reply

maveee

maveee

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
hello everyone ...

i have a toshiba running on XP ... i wanna connect an electronic chip of somekind to my pc to simulate circuits and stuff .... now those things are mostly made to be connected with serial ports ...but i dont have one on my laptop so i have a serialbus-usb convertor .... now when i connect the thing and try to use one of the circuits programs i get the message ....COM2 was not found ...COM1 was not found .... i updated my BIOS....same problem .... i dunno if i need to install a driver or something and if i do what is it called .... oh when one more thing ... when i connect it he tells me that a new hardware is found then he says that something is wrong with it and it might not work right .... but i guess thats all part of the driver thing ??? !!! ...

thank u very much for ur help

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Absolutely, especially in a serial port replicator / usb device you are going to need the latest drivers for the piece of hardware. I use them all the time and they work very well. But you do need the drivers for them.

maveee

maveee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
can i ask what the drive is called ?

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Im not sure what you are asking. Are you asking which one I use?

maveee

maveee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
am just saying i cant find the COMs to control them at the first place ... and am kinda sure i used the same chip before without installing any special driver with it ....so am guessing my problem is are my original installed drivers .... so my question was is there any driver special (in windows ) to make COMs recognizable ? that i might not have installed `?!

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
So if I understand correctly you have 2 COM ports on your motherboard that are builtin but not recognized. If this is the case then you need to find the latest drivers for your motherboard and get them installed.