Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printer on Vista machine, driver problems for XP on the network

• Please log in to reply

holychicken

holychicken

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

I have a network setup in my house. I have a HP LJ 1200 PCL 5 printer on my Vista machine and my gf wants to be able to print on it from her XP machine.

Now, I am sharing files with her (which she has no problem accessing) and I can SEE the printer from her computer and it recognizes the right printer model. However, if I try to add it, it says that it is looking for the driver on the Vista machine and it doesn't have the right driver and then when it asks to try and find the driver for it, I can find nothing for it (I have looked online for the right inf file, but have not found it on her machine) . . . but when I installed it directly from her machine, it came up with a install wizard that gave me a list of all bunch of makes and models of printers.

The maddening part is that if she connects directly to the printer, she has no problem printing to it and I can print to it without issue from my machine. . .so I know we both have the right drivers on our respective machines. . . and it recognizes what printer it is and it still won't work.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Advertisements

skyhintack

skyhintack

• PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
Hi and Welcome to Geeks to Go!

I've experienced this problem as well. What I did to solve my issue was the following:

• Navigate to the Printers window in the Control Panel
  • Right click on the printer and choose Properties
  • Click on the Sharing tab
  • Make sure both Share This Printer and Render Print Jobs On Client Computers are ticked
  • Then click on Additional Drivers
  • Make sure that you at least have the x86 (32 bit) driver installed. If you have any x64 (64 bit) computers, then you'll need to locate that driver and install it as well.
  • Then click OK twice to exit both menus.
Edit: Seeing as how you have Vista as a 64 bit OS, that should be your problem. In this case, you'll need to install both the x86 and the x64 bit drivers in the additional drivers menu.

Hopefully that should solve your issue, or at least eliminate some issues towards your problem.

Sky

Edited by skyhintack, 26 January 2009 - 07:37 PM.

holychicken

holychicken

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Cool, thanks a lot for the help.

What you say makes perfect sense. However, when I go to install the x86 driver, it asks me to find it. I am not sure where to look. I don't have the disk. I went to the HP site and downloaded and tried pretty much every driver on the driver page for my printer and then open from the driver search browser, but all of them kept saying that the "specified location does not contain the driver HP LaserJet 1200 PCL5 for the requested architecture."

Should the .inf file already be on my computer? If so, where? Or is it that I am just missing something?

Thank you again for the response. :)

skyhintack

skyhintack

• PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
You'll need to download and install the first driver on this page (16.4 MB).
If the Windows XP computer is 32-bit, you'll also need to download and install the third one down on this page (1.8 MB).

Edit: When you install the drivers, be sure to note their install location to be able to find the .inf file you'll need to locate.

Edited by skyhintack, 26 January 2009 - 08:59 PM.

MCED

MCED

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm having a similar problem. I have a new 64bit Vista laptop, which I've successfully networked to my XP (32bit) desktop. I've downloaded the 64bit printer driver for my HP printer and it seems fine on this computer. But I want to use my XP as the server for the laptop. When I try to install the 64 bit driver on my XP I get an error 5 and it will NOT install. I've tried a number of times.

Is there any fix to this issue? :)

Thanks much