Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Having sound problems.

• Please log in to reply

Yahman

Yahman

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I just upgraded my computer from XP to Vista. I didn't want to but had no choice my XP was spasming and wouldn't allow access to the internet. Any way the install went swimmingly and all, but now I keep getting a message stating that my High Definition Audio Device is installed but can't start up (code 10) what does that mean and how do I fix it? I'm really tired of not being able to jam while I'm on the computer. Not to mention all the gaming I do is better with the accompanying sound. Oh yeah and I have done the crap that windows has told me to do. I also don't have the $50 to pay for one of Microsoft's techs to tell me how to fix the problem.

Yahman

Edited by Yahman, 26 January 2009 - 08:19 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The Windows error “This device cannot start. Code 10″ or “This device cannot start. (Code 10)” is a hardware error that most commonly means that you have a bad, missing, or incompatible device driver.

You will need to check with the laptop makers website for correct drivers for vista on your laptop. If you cannot find them you may have to try using the XP audio drivers and set the system to use compatability mode to see if they will work. You may not be able to fix this problem. There is a customer laptop i could not fix with this problem.

SRX660

Yahman

Yahman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It's a desktop, and you'll have to walk me through anything I do. I'm almost computer illiterate.

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
What make and model is the desktop computer

EG: toshiba, leader, mac , dell , compaq etc etc

and what model is it ?

Anthony19

PS: the front cover or some where on the computer case ( sticker ) will give you the manufacture

to give more information to help assist you , go to start menu then right click on the " My computer " then select properties

Copy all the information form the bottom right section

maybe also include the " System " area also

Edited: bad spelling/grammer :)

Edited by Anthony19, 27 January 2009 - 01:18 AM.