Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hp running hot

• Please log in to reply

ambmy9

ambmy9

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
I have a hp pavilion dv6736nr entertainment notebook which has started to run pretty hot ....I first noticed it because the fan is always blowing hard and it kind of vibrates and feels real warm almost hot on the key board and real hot on the bottom of the laptop. I have blown out the vents set my setting to a lower setting to see if it will help but when I downloaded core temp its running on both cores from the 50s to the 70s which I know is to hot when I not really doing anything on the computer. My graphic when I play games have been choppy when they were not before....I have 2 gb of ram and 250 harddrive my graphics is a nviidia geforce go 7150m it has up to 799mb shared video memory. I also went to restart yesterday an it just shut its self off completely and when I went to try an start it it would kind of power up then shut off I did it three times before it actually come back on. I am doing a full back up right now, because I think my computer is about to mess up real bad. Can anyone tell me if they have had this problem and what they think it could be...I still have warrenty on it until next month I am going to call but I would like to be able to tell them what I think it could be....I am also going to update my bios when the back up is done...should have done it before...but o well...lol Any comments would be helpful.

Advertisements

debo3381

debo3381

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I had the same problem with my old laptop. First I removed the heatsink and cleared out all the dust and crap from between the slits. Then I scraped the old thermal grease off the heatsick and cpu and replaced with Artic Silver 5. Ran 20 degrees cooler. But if your under warranty then I would not take apart the computer without permission from tech support, otherwise you might void your warranty. Your motherboard may also need to be replaced.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
I would not do any thing after you back up as you may void the warrenty.
Telling HP that the machine is getting hot, shuts down, and video has gotten choppy should be enough information for them.
Do not delay in sending the machine to HP for warranty work, you do not want the warranty to expire.
While your fan is working (you state that it is vibrating) the heat sink could be clogged up. (this is more of a copper tube for laptops) but any work that is done by some one who is not authorized by HP will void the warranty.