Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What is Safe Mode for?

• Please log in to reply

jravas82

jravas82

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hello,

I went into safe mode on a computer with Win XP SP3 since I couldn't do normal start-up and did some disc cleanup there. I was then able to log in normally but still having issues with the computer that I'll most likely post about sometime in the next couple of days. Thats if I'm stil having issues after following the malway removal guide.

Anyway - what other tips/tricks/uses can be done in Safe Mode when dealing with viruses/malware/spyware...?

Thanks,
jv

Advertisements

karbo

karbo

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Safe mode

Safe mode

jravas82

jravas82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
karbo, thanks for those links. Very helpful. Speaking of running antivirus in safe mode. I tried that with McAfee and the program itself said the definitions are 8-29 days old but when I click on update I get a message saying it is already up to date. I then plug in my flash drive and I click on Malwarebytes or SuperAntispyware to run the .exe file and they don't load. It's like the virus knows what I'm trying to do. That's crazy! I'm wondering --- can I run the .exe file and save it to the flash drive and not, say, the c drive? That way it's ready to go when I plug the flash drive in the computer. please advise.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
There are some virus's that disable the scanners. If you suspect you have malware or virus, I suggest you head to the malware section (link in signature) and start there. The scanners should work in safe mode. You should also be able to do safe mode with networking and get to the online scanners.

Be patient in the malware section. They are quite busy.

karbo

karbo

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

karbo, thanks for those links. Very helpful.

You're welcome! :)

jravas82

jravas82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

There are some virus's that disable the scanners. If you suspect you have malware or virus, I suggest you head to the malware section (link in signature) and start there. The scanners should work in safe mode. You should also be able to do safe mode with networking and get to the online scanners.

Be patient in the malware section. They are quite busy.

Hi 123Runner, Thanks for the info and the other links you provided were helpful too. For the antispyware and antimalware software programs, I can have as many as I want as long as they are not running in the background, correct? I had download the Ad-Aware Anniversary edition and I notice that now it does run in the background. Even after I disabled it in the toolbar, it still shows as running when I open the program. Should I be concerned? I also have SuperAntispyware, Spywareblaster, and Malwarebyte's Antimalware.

Thanks,
jv

karbo

karbo

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
I think with what you already had, you didn't need Ad-Aware. You're overkilling!

Go tot Start / Run / type msconfig

Go to the Startup tab and unckeck anything related to Ad-Aware. Next time you reboot, Ad-Aware won't be working in the background.

Edited by karbo, 29 January 2009 - 01:31 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I have replaced my Adaware 2007 with malwarebytes (it was a resource hog). I am not familiar with adaware anniversary (sorry).

karbo

karbo

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

I have replaced my Adaware 2007 with malwarebytes (it was a resource hog). I am not familiar with adaware anniversary (sorry).

Are you running Malwarebytes in real-time?

I'm wondering if I should buy Mbam but it doesn't say if it's a one year purchase or for life. SuperAntiSpyware had a lifetime contract a while ago.

EDITED

Update:

Ok, I just noticed on their website that it's a lifetime contract.

Edited by karbo, 29 January 2009 - 01:39 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I use the free version and run it abou 1 time a week.