Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Programs taking 100% cpu

• Please log in to reply

readersdigest

readersdigest

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I don't know all that much about computers, but I've had this computer for a while and it's starting to get really slow.
It takes about 5-8 minutes just to boot up and sometimes I think it just freezes in the process.
After I let it boot up and start Firefox or any program it works for a bit and then freezes temporarily.
This happens with any program that I boot up (iTunes, AIM, Firefox)
I usually open up the task manager to see what is making my computer run so slow and I find that one or more programs are using up all my cpu. The most common processes to take up all of my cpu usage are:

firefox.exe
svchost.exe
itunes.exe
system
services.exe
explorer.exe

Can anyone help me please? Thanks

Advertisements

karbo

karbo

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Can you tell us how much RAM you have?

DO NOT ask users to post HJT Logs here

readersdigest

readersdigest

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a gig of ram

[attachment=26854:HiJackThis_log.txt]

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
To readersdigst, McAfee is a major resource hog, thats probably responsible

Do this as well

Please download JavaRa to your desktop and unzip it to its own folder
  • Run JavaRa.exe, pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions.
  • Accept any prompts.
  • Open JavaRa.exe again and select Search For Updates.
  • Select Update Using Sun Java's Website then click Search and click on the Open Webpage button. Download and install the latest Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version for your computer.

To karbo, those are the rules. Please have a read of them, we aren't to discuss them in this topic, this is for helping the original poster

karbo

karbo

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Another thing, you have McAfee (big resource hog) and you have Symantec (big resource hog too). I don't know if you have a Symantec antivirus but you should never use 2 antivirus programs at the same time. You have both running in your processes. This could be the cause.

And, you are using Azureus, a file sharing program. No better way to get malware on your computer. You don't need it in your Start up programs. And, there are surely a few other applications that don't need to be there in the background.

readersdigest

readersdigest

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Norton came with the computer but I removed it a year ago to install McAfee
I've scanned for viruses I havn't found anything. How do I completely remove Norton from my processes?
I also downloaded JavaRa and removed older versions and installed the newest version of JRE, but that didn't seem to help.