Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unable to install win xp pro from xp media center

• Please log in to reply

doobiedoo

doobiedoo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i currently have windows xp media center edition and i have viruses up the wazoo and ive backed up all my files i need and now am ready to reformat my hard drive. first i tried to reformat the hard drive by right clicking the c drive and clicking format but this shows up"Windows cannot format this drive. Quit any disk utilities or other programs that are using this drive, and make sure that no window is displaying the contents of the drive. Then try reformatting again." So after that message I closed all my programs and still no luck.
Then i tried putting in my Windows XP Pro CD to try to reinstall windows but it says I have a newer edition already installed.
Please help me reformat my computer. I'm in dire need.

If it helps I have a Dell XPS M140 laptop.

Advertisements

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Hello doobiedoo,

You can't format the HDD or reinstall Windows from within Windows. You will need to set your BIOS to boot to the cd/dvd drive first.

Then you will be able to start the setup process and format the HDD.

Normally at the Dell Logo you will have an option to choose Boot Options (usually an "F' key) F10,F12

Try that.

Edited by makinu1der2, 28 January 2009 - 07:29 PM.

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello doobiedoo,
just to add to makinu1der2 reply...

as stated by makinu1der2 quote: " You can't format the HDD or reinstall Windows from within Windows "

this is because windows is using the files and is locked by windows ( like the "error-checker " Diskcheck" , can only be schedule to run the next time the computer is booted )

here is some more info to help assist you

to enter the bios on various machines

Dell® 400 F3, F1
Dell 4400 F12
Dell Dimension® F2 or DEL
Dell Inspiron® F2
Dell Latitude Fn+F1 (while booted)
Dell Latitude F2 (on boot)
Dell Optiplex DEL
Dell Optiplex F2
Dell Precision™ F2

I think you are needing to press F2

and as makinu1der2 stated: You will need to set your BIOS to boot to the cd/dvd drive first

the Steps to change the boot priority is as follows

1. Power up the laptop & immediately keep on tapping the F2 key
2.This should take you to BIOS / Setup.
3. Look for boot order or boot priority somewhere. ( hardware / Peripheral )
4. It should state 1st boot device, 2nd boot device.... etc etc
5. Make sure the 1st boot device is cd/dvd rom
6. Save changes and exit.
7. Now try to use the CD ( should be able to boot from that and install fresh installation of windows from the cd )

Good luck , if you have any other queries or questions , dont hesitate to ask

Once you format the drive, there is no going back :)

Anthony19

PS: Quote: " ive backed up all my files i need" , Be sure you have not backed the viruses up also :) , And once reformatted be sure you update windows Immediately

Edited by Anthony19, 28 January 2009 - 08:11 PM.