Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help With Connectivity Issue

• Please log in to reply

bake

bake

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
I have a Gateway desktop that I am having issues connecting to the internet. With the network cable plugged in to the integrated port while booting up I get a solid green and flashing orange light. It also shows connected on the network icon. When I unplug it the icon shows disconnected but will not show connected again when plugged back in unless I reboot the computer. There are no indications of problems in Device Manager but I have no internet. I tried to repair the connection but got an error message that it could not be repaired because it "Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection. Cannot proceed."

Thinking there could be an issue with the connection on the mother board I tried installing a PCI network card. The computer finds the new hardware and installs drivers automatically then has me restart the computer. However, I get no connection with the new card. The connection icon shows unplugged and device manager shows an exclamation point on the new card. Properties gives the message "The device is not working because windows can not load the drivers required for this device. (code 31)". I tried updating the driver by having it look at the CD drive and choosing what to install. It goes through the motions and requires a reboot. After the reboot I still have the same yellow exclamation point and message in device manager and no internet connection.

I have a laptop that I connect with the same network cable and it works fine so I know the issue is with the computer but I am at a loss as how to correct it. Thanks for any help here.

-Bake

Edited by bake, 29 January 2009 - 12:10 PM.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey Bake,

Which issue are you hoping to get help with? The second part sounds like it might be a Hardware, Components and Peripheralss issue, so you might have a little more luck posting in there.

As to the first part, when your computer first boots up (before you unplug the cable), do you have any Internet connectivity at all? Can you please do the following:
  • Press Start
  • Select Run
  • Type cmd and press OK
  • In the new command prompt window, type ipconfig /all > C:\ipconfig.txt
  • Once the above command completes, type route print > C:\route.txt
  • Navigate to your C: drive and open the text files ipconfig.txt and route.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of these files into your next response.

- Dan

bake

bake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi Dan, thanks for taking the time to reply. It will be Monday before I am able to get back to the computer to get the information you asked for. As for which I need help with, I don't care if I get the built in port working or get a card installed that will work. And no, there is no connectivity at all even though it shows as connected. I'll post back on Monday morning with the information that you asked for. Thanks again.

bake

bake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi Dan, sorry I am a little late getting back to you.

I entered the commands you asked me to. The ipconfig yeilded no results.

Below are the file contents:

Ipconfig:

Windows IP Configuration

Route:

===========================================================================
Interface List
0x1 ........................... MS TCP Loopback interface
Active Routes:
Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface Metric
127.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 1
Persistent Routes:
None

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

Hi Dan, sorry I am a little late getting back to you.

No worries, bud.

According to your route print, Windows isn't detecting any of your Network Cards as being installed; this suggests that your drivers aren't being detected properly. When you look in the Properties of My Network Places (right-click it), are all of your Network icons present?

First of all, let's make sure all of your network DLL files are registered; please do the following:
  • Press Start
  • Select Run
  • Type cmd and press OK
  • In the new command prompt window, I am going to get you to type three commands -- wait for the previous command to complete before proceeding to the next. It is important that you make sure you type the text exactly as it appears below. Each command should produce a box indicating that it was sucessfully registered; simply press 'OK' then proceed to the next command. If an error is reported, please post the error message. Below are the commands to type:
    • regsvr32 netshell.dll
      regsvr32 netcfgx.dll
      regsvr32 netman.dll
  • Restart your computer.
Let's make sure that the necessary Network services are running:
  • Press Start
  • Select Run
  • Type services.msc and press OK
  • In the list of services, ensure that all of the following have a Status of Started
    Remote procedure call (RPC)
    Network Connections
    Plug and Play
    COM+ Event System
    Remote Access Connection Manager
    Telephony
Have you attempted to reinstall your Network Adapter drivers?

- Dan

bake

bake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi Dan,

Properties of Network Connections shows a Local Area Connection that is connected when I boot with the network cable plugged in. Nvidia nForce Networking Controller is the name on that connection. I have not tried any drivers for that device. I will try to figure out which drivers I would need and download them.

I did try to load the drivers for the PCI Network Card that I installed. Using Device Manager I tried to update the drivers because it had a yellow exclamation point. The status message was "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (code31)". I installed them by navagating to the XP folder on the disc and after a reboot I have the same notice in Device Manager.

I have run the commands that you asked me to. Everything in your list had a status of started. I tried loading the drivers for the PCI controller again after running the commands and rebooting with the same results.

-Bake

EDIT:

I went to Gateways site and downloaded the Motherboard driver package. Installed them after setting a Restore Point. That didn't do me any good at all. Still have the exact same issues. Thanks again for your help sir.

Edited by bake, 04 February 2009 - 03:10 PM.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

I have run the commands that you asked me to. Everything in your list had a status of started. I tried loading the drivers for the PCI controller again after running the commands and rebooting with the same results.

When you do an ipconfig /all is it still blank?

I did try to load the drivers for the PCI Network Card that I installed. Using Device Manager I tried to update the drivers because it had a yellow exclamation point. The status message was "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (code31)". I installed them by navagating to the XP folder on the disc and after a reboot I have the same notice in Device Manager.

Have you tried going into Device Manager, uninstalling your PCI card, rebooting the computer, let Windows detect the new hardware, but then specify the location of the drivers instead of letting it do it automatically?

Can you please do the following to create an export of your registry settings for your Interfaces:
  • Press Start
  • Select Run
  • In the Run text field, please copy/paste the contents of the CODE box and then press OK.
regedit /e C:\export.txt HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces
Navigate to your C: drive and open the text file export.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of this file into your next response.

When did you start experiencing issues with your on-board LAN card? Was it after a Windows update? Virus? Anything specific you can remember?

Another step that you can try would be to run the sfc scanner, to ensure that all of your Windows files are valid.
  • Press Start
  • Select Run
  • Type cmd and press OK
  • In the new command prompt window, type: sfc /scannow
  • *NOTE: You will need your Windows XP CD handy for this process. The scan will take some time to complete -- it is recommended that you do not run any other processes while the scan is active.
- Dan

bake

bake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi Dan,

Sorry again for the late reply. My daughter crashed her car so I have been out of town for a few days.

Ipconfig still comes up blank. I have tried several times to load drivers for the PCI Network Card by by specifying the location. It goes through the install process and even tells me I need to reboot for the changes. After a reboot I have the same issues.

I tried running the sfc scanner. The computer is asking for me to install Windows XP Professional CD2 so that files can be copied to the DLL Cache. I do not have a CD2. I only have the Gateway Operating System Disc. I put it in and get a message that it is the wrong CD. When I look at My Computer properties windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2 is the operating system. The disc that I have from Gateway says it is Windows Media Center Edition 2005. Could that be a problem? I have no idea why it would have 2002 loaded not 2005 as the disc is labeled.

I haven't been able to connect to the internet since I had a problem with my hard drive in July 2008. I have a thread [url="http://www.geekstogo...6985.html"]here[/ur.l] about that. I didn't really get a lot of help on that and people stopped responding. I found a drive repair utility on the Hitachi site. I used it to "recover" the drive if that is the right word. Everything seemed to be okay except the connectivity issue.

I am really lost on this problem. Hope you may have some idea what I need to do here. Thanks for taking the time to help.

-Bake

Below is the information that you asked for:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{10DAA833-9600-4428-8660-2392E5590B36}]
"UseZeroBroadcast"=dword:00000000
"EnableDHCP"=dword:00000000
"IPAddress"=hex(7):30,00,2e,00,30,00,2e,00,30,00,2e,00,30,00,00,00,00,00
"SubnetMask"=hex(7):30,00,2e,00,30,00,2e,00,30,00,2e,00,30,00,00,00,00,00
"DefaultGateway"=hex(7):00,00
"EnableDeadGWDetect"=dword:00000001
"DontAddDefaultGateway"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{4B24FBF9-C9EB-4A22-BAEF-487F193216F0}]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{82EF10E9-BB6D-4575-8567-03B11347EF05}]
"EnableDHCP"=dword:00000001
"DefaultGatewayMetric"=hex(7):00,00
"NameServer"=""
"Domain"=""
"RegistrationEnabled"=dword:00000001
"RegisterAdapterName"=dword:00000000
"TCPAllowedPorts"=hex(7):30,00,00,00,00,00
"UDPAllowedPorts"=hex(7):30,00,00,00,00,00
"RawIPAllowedProtocols"=hex(7):30,00,00,00,00,00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{BB674D62-B3CB-4C7A-B468-F0460B5F544D}]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{C3F6DD71-4EB3-4D43-A8DB-6EF277BE376F}]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{C9EE895E-E0DB-45D4-9AF2-FADCA7000C01}]
"EnableDHCP"=dword:00000001
"DefaultGatewayMetric"=hex(7):00,00
"NameServer"=""
"Domain"=""
"RegistrationEnabled"=dword:00000001
"RegisterAdapterName"=dword:00000000
"TCPAllowedPorts"=hex(7):30,00,00,00,00,00
"UDPAllowedPorts"=hex(7):30,00,00,00,00,00
"RawIPAllowedProtocols"=hex(7):30,00,00,00,00,00
"NTEContextList"=hex(7):00,00
"DhcpClassIdBin"=hex:
"DhcpServer"="192.168.1.254"
"Lease"=dword:0000a8c0
"LeaseObtainedTime"=dword:48489df3
"T1"=dword:4848f253
"T2"=dword:4849319b
"LeaseTerminatesTime"=dword:484946b3
"IPAutoconfigurationAddress"="0.0.0.0"
"IPAutoconfigurationMask"="255.255.0.0"
"IPAutoconfigurationSeed"=dword:00000000
"AddressType"=dword:00000000
"DhcpIPAddress"="0.0.0.0"
"DhcpSubnetMask"="255.0.0.0"
"DhcpRetryTime"=dword:0000545b
"DhcpRetryStatus"=dword:00000000

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

Sorry again for the late reply. My daughter crashed her car so I have been out of town for a few days.

I'm sorry to hear that -- I hope your daughter is OK? Cars are replaceable :) And don't fret about slow replies; we'll get there eventually :)

I tried running the sfc scanner. The computer is asking for me to install Windows XP Professional CD2 so that files can be copied to the DLL Cache. I do not have a CD2. I only have the Gateway Operating System Disc. I put it in and get a message that it is the wrong CD. When I look at My Computer properties windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2 is the operating system. The disc that I have from Gateway says it is Windows Media Center Edition 2005. Could that be a problem? I have no idea why it would have 2002 loaded not 2005 as the disc is labeled.

Can you please read through this article -- How to use the Scannow SFC tool in Windows XP. The article contains steps on how to use the SFC tool when you don't have the Windows XP CD, and will hopefully allow you to repair the corrupt files.

I have a feeling that this "should" resolve your issue, as your adapters are showing up in Device Manager, and your registry, but not in the route prints, suggesting that there is a link missing somewhere in Windows. I hope that that link will be repaired when you repair the system files.

Let me know if the steps in the article allow you to run the scan. If you run into any issues, just post back and we'll hopefully be able to work through this.

- Dan

bake

bake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi Dan,

She is fine, just a few bruises. Thanks. The car is a total loss but as you said, it is replaceable.

I followed the instructions to get the sfc scan to run. After it finished I rebooted the system but still have the same issues. I went back and tried every combination of uninstalling, reinstalling, updating drivers, removing the PCI card, installing the card and so on. No change whatsoever.

Do you think it would help if I format the hard drive and install Windows using the Gateway Operating System Disc I have? Any chance that is what will be needed to get this issue resolved? Thanks again for your help here.

-Lee

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey Lee,

I'm very happy to hear your daughter didn't suffer any serious injury :)

Do you think it would help if I format the hard drive and install Windows using the Gateway Operating System Disc I have? Any chance that is what will be needed to get this issue resolved? Thanks again for your help here.

Unfortunately, hardware and drivers aren't really my specialty; I'm not sure why your drivers aren't being registered in Windows correctly. I do feel that your current issues have something to do with your previous hard-drive issues, and a format would more than likely resolve said issues -- however I hate suggesting a format as a "fix". With that said, if this computer has been giving you grief for some time, a format wouldn't be unreasonable. If you would prefer, I would be more than willing to ask a few of our other techs to have a look at this thread as there may be an easy fix for this, of which I am simply not familiar with.

If you would rather just format to (hopefully) get this resolved, please take a peek at Essexboy's Reformat and Install of Windows tutorial -- it's a great guide.

Let me know what you decide.
- Dan

bake

bake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi Dan,

I normally would not prefer the format and reload but I am at a loss here and am getting a little tired of trying to deal with this issue. I think I will try it tomorrow anyway to see if it solves the problem. Do you think I will have a problem with Windows updates since it seems my CD and hard drive have different dates (02&05)?

I'll let you know how it goes.

-Lee

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

Do you think I will have a problem with Windows updates since it seems my CD and hard drive have different dates (02&05)?

I wouldn't imagine so. Since you'll be doing a fresh install, it shouldn't matter; you'll be installing whatever's on the CD (i.e. the '05 version), and I see no reason why it would conflict with any Windows updates.

Please let me know how it goes.
- Dan

bake

bake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi Dan,

After several hours pulling my hair out yet again today I was unable to do a reinstall with the Gateway Disc. All it would do was attempt a recovery which led back the same issues I had before. It would fail copying Preload files. It wouldn't give me the blue screen for a reinstall. Same issues I was getting in the other thread I linked. This was after I erased everything on the drive and formated it with the Hitachi Fitness tool. Thinking that the issue could be my Operating System Disc, but not really believing it, I tried loading XP Pro from a Dell CD I have. It loaded XP perfectly and my on board Network port works. I loaded the Mother Board drivers from Gateway and only have two items in device manager that are yellow. I am going to check on them Monday. My plan is to go get all of the drivers it shipped with a load them. Perhaps that will be all that is needed now.

Thanks for the help you have given me on this. I'll let you know on Monday how it goes finishing things up.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Good thing you had that XP CD, then :) I'm glad to hear things seem to be working (for the most part) -- let me know if you get everything up and running.

- Dan