Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I Lost Windows Media Player

• Please log in to reply

gr8joel

gr8joel

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
Hello fellow geekstogo members,

I recently did something that any other xp user would do. I simply wanted to put the "windows media player" icon on my desktop for faster usage, and the way i did this was click on the start menu (keep in mind i am using vista home edition) and then scrolled down to windows media player, I clicked and dragged it to the desktop, and now it looks like a file that doesn't know what program to open it. So i tried dragging the weird looking file back to the start menu and still no luck. I would basically like to just put windows media player back where it was initially in the start menu now.

Maybe even perhaps on the desktop as well. but for now can some one help me figure out how to get it back looking to normal.

I have enclosed a picture of what it looks like now, which is sitting on my desktop. lol

thanks in advance

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello gr8joel...

Contrary to popular belief, dragging and dropping is not always the best way to move things.

The disassociated shortcut on the desktop can be deleted. Then navigate to C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player, right click on wmplayer.exe and choose "Pin to Start Menu". Right click on it again, point to "Send To", and choose "Desktop (Create Shortcut)".

The first action will put the media player back in the Start menu...the second will put a media player shortcut on your desktop. You can drag the desktop shortcut into the Quick Launch bar, or leave it on the desktop...or both. Leave the one in the Start menu alone.

wannabe1

gr8joel

gr8joel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
Thanks I apprecciate the help alot.

gr8joel

gr8joel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
Im sorrr, but i have one more question. Hopefully i dont sound to petty about this. but i was also wondering if i could get the "windows media play back to were it was at originnally in the first place. It was in alphabetical order i believe, under All Progams, you see when i would put my mouse over all programs it would open up all the programs. I know that it is now pinned to start menu, but could i possibly get it back to were it was origibally.

I have enclosed another pic.

thanks alot in advance :)

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try this and see if you get the desired results.

Right click on the Start orb and choose "Properties". Under the Start Menu tab, click on "Customize", then click on the "Use Defaults" button.

This should put things back the way they were when Windows was installed.

gr8joel

gr8joel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
aw man it didnt work. seeing "wmplayer" in start menu isnt to snazyy, but its ok thanks for all your help. doing the above action did not work for me.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try a System Restore to a date before you originally moved it and see if it reverts to the way it was.

gr8joel

gr8joel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
alrite ill try the system restore. sorry for being a big baby about it lol. u can consider this case closed lol. thanks for all the help. :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If you don't like it saying wmplayer in the start menu, you can right-click on it and rename it. :)