Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Would more memory do anything for me?

• Please log in to reply

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
I built a computer about a year ago. I was just curious if I put more memory in it will it help make it faster or do anything at all?

Right now I have:

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3 motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
mushkin 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA
HIS Hightech H260PRFS512DDN-R Radeon HD 2600PRO 512MB

I was wanting to upgrade to 4GB of memory. But i dont know if it would even be worth it.

Please let me know

Advertisements

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Hi civiccrazy,

What do you mean by make it faster? What are you trying to improve? Is it program load times, internet browsing, multimedia work, gaming?

Adding more memory will help in some occasion, it just depends on what you're trying to improve and also what OS you're using. If you're using XP then I don't see any need for more RAM however for Vista, more RAM will help.

Can you tell us what you're trying to improve and what Operating System you're using?

Kamille

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

I don't know if upgrading the RAM would even help, as kamille316 suggests.

What OS are you using for this computer, and what does that Task Manager report for the max usage (RAM) for your uses right now?

I have a gaming rig with a 2x 1GB GeIL RAM kit now, but considering my uses (including games), I rarely hit the 2GB mark, so there'd be no point in upgrading the RAM for myself.

Cheers

Troy

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
I am running Xp Pro. I was just curious if more would do anything. I'm guessing not, Thank you for the replies.