Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DQS training failed on previous boot

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
The current voltage of 1.33 would be for your CPU! Do not change this!

You only want to change the RAM voltage, which should be set at a default 1.8V (which is the required JEDEC standard). Then you would need to change this to 2.0V (on my computer, I would achieve this by selecting the +0.2V button).

However, G.SKILL seem to be pretty set that it won't work, so if you have an RMA number and are desperate to get 1066MHz RAM, then go ahead and get it swapped over.

Troy

Advertisements

Briannola

Briannola

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
You are correct of course. I was able to set the RAM voltage at 2.0 but when I raised the freq to 1066, the computer rebooted and went back to 800mhz. I have the RMA but I will wait until the new RAM to arrive before I send this RAM back. I will return it because I still get the "DQS training failed on previous boot" when I cold boot. Thanks again.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

You are correct of course. I was able to set the RAM voltage at 2.0 but when I raised the freq to 1066, the computer rebooted and went back to 800mhz. I have the RMA but I will wait until the new RAM to arrive before I send this RAM back. I will return it because I still get the "DQS training failed on previous boot" when I cold boot. Thanks again.

Alright hope you get the new gskill ram in your pc soon. :) Now we all know about the Gskill INTEL ONLY recommended ram lol.

Good luck. I should of seen that in the specs but like I said I was very busy that week with my new Job.

Briannola

Briannola

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Ok, now that I have the new RAM (Kingston HyperX 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)), I still cannot get it to run at 1066. I know that I don't need to have it run at this speed but I would like to see my system run as advertised. See my system info above. I have upgraded the BIOS to P06. How do I set up the BIOS to maximize (not overclock) the MB/RAM as advertised?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
To use the RAM at 1066MHz speed, you'll need to "overclock" the system by running it at faster than JEDEC standards.

The JEDEC standards state that DDR2 RAM should run at 1.8V, which is plenty enough to get it running at standard speeds. The HyperX kit is not standard RAM, it is performance RAM.

You'll need to find somewhere in the BIOS (I don't have particular experience with your motherboard) to increase the voltage to 2.2V (which may be shown as +0.4V), the speed to 1066MHz, and the timings to 5-5-5-15.

Troy

EDIT: What type of BIOS does the system run? When you first turn it on, you'll see the name up the top, like AWARD BIOS or something.

Edited by Troy, 16 February 2009 - 03:01 AM.

Briannola

Briannola

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Troy, sorry about the delay. I have been out of town.
If the MB states that it can handle up to 1066 and the RAM is 1066, then I would think that I would not have to overclock. Anyway, I have AMI bios and I was able to set the 5-5-5-15 (I think) but when I did, the computer reboots and I have to clear the CMOS to reset the BIOS. The voltage changes are in 50mV steps from +50Mv to +600mV. Here is the manual. Am I missing something? Why does it reboot?
http://www.foxconnch...ID=en-us0002205

wildtiger

wildtiger

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i think it is the problem of the motherboard.
i have the same Foxconn motherboard, with Phenom II amd processor.
Got this same message, but not all the time.