Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Doozy

• Please log in to reply

kushpolak

kushpolak

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Alright so I was an idiot one month and didnt scan my hard drive for viruses and such and it eventually got the bsod.

I ended up trying to reinstall windows thru booting the cd and I found that the install was MUCH slower then it has ever been. Eventually the copying files part gets done and my computer restarts but it does NOT goto the second part of the windows install. I've never encountered that before after reinstalling windows a good 300 times on many different types of computers so I figured the hard drive (Seagate 250 Gig)was screwed up but just to make sure I plugged it into a spare computer I had and installed windows on that hard drive fine and it worked perfectly so I thought it might have been my computer. I took the hard drive from the spare computer (Maxtor 40 gig)and installed windows in my main computer and everything worked fine. I tried the main HD again and it proceeded doing the same thing with the slow install and no 2nd part of windows xp install any help would be greatly appreciated this problem is hurting my head :)

Asus P5B MB
BFG 7900 GS OC
2 gig ram
1.6 ghz dual core

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Use the seatools to write zero's to the drive so there is no software on the drive to interfere with the install.

http://www.seagate.c...nloads/seatools

SRX660

kushpolak

kushpolak

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i'll try it out and post back with the results

kushpolak

kushpolak

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Well I did a test and it seems it is the hard drive

it passed the short test with flying colors but the long test failed about halfway in.

is there anyway to fix this or just to get a new hard drive?

kushpolak

kushpolak

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
sorry double post

Edited by kushpolak, 31 January 2009 - 07:18 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If the HD utilities cannot fix the drive, it is almost dead and will need to be replaced.

SRX660

kushpolak

kushpolak

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I scanned the hard drive with HDD Regenerator and it didnt even show 1 bad sector. Should it be working fine?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
As previously stated.

it passed the short test with flying colors but the long test failed about halfway in.

If the HD utilities cannot fix the drive, it is almost dead and will need to be replaced.

If you want to trust it, then go ahead. But we are recommending replacement based on the fact it failed the manufacturers test.