Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop issues (webcam not working, partition problem)

• Please log in to reply

keigan

keigan

• Pip
  • 8 posts
hey all! how's everyone? long time no see!

i've got a couple issues i'm hoping someone will be able to help me with, as they've been frustrating me of late. my friend moved to england recently, and we like to do video calls via wlm. for some reason, with this nlited version of windows xp i'm currently running, i simply can't install or use the factory-installed "chicony usb 2.0 camera."

i've downloaded and installed the driver and accompanying software from the toshiba support site several times. then i formatted. tried again. no luck. i'm currently working on a new install of xp so that i can try that, to see if anything from the previous copy i created with nlite might have been left out that may be to blame.

Posted Image

the more pressing issue, however, involves my partitioned hard drive.

evidently, when one deletes the C:/ partition whilst attempting to install windows, the D:/ partition becomes recognized as the only drive and assigns itself boot-drive status. so. what's going on is, i deleted the C:/ partition, then installed windows onto it. somehow in the process, D: became C:, and of course there's no easy way to change the C: drive letter even if it doesn't contain a windows installation.

it's not a catastrophe, but i'd like to have my drives labeled properly. so far it hasn't caused any errors or anything, but the D:/ partition now occupies the first half of my HD and the C:/ the second, and all my junk is on the C:/ drive now which makes it frustrating and confusing; it interrupts my flow while using my laptop.

anyways, if anyone has any thoughts about these issues, i'd love to hear them. thanks again!

ps. my laptop is a toshiba a200 psae3c th108c running windows xp FULLY updated (except silverlight and ms search 4...who the [bleep] needs that garbage?)

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Yah, your nlite install is probably to blame. I have no idea how to remedy the webcam problem, but since you're going to install XP again to troubleshoot, why not kill two birds at once. Just back up your data to a safe location and reformat your current hard drive... then reinstall XP on that. You'll end up with C: being your root drive again, which will alleviate the drive letter confusion.

keigan

keigan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
spot on, that was my first thought as well...i was just hoping there would be a quicker way of doing things as i'll have to burn to dvd or transfer to pc about 150gb worth of files before i'll be ready to format and repartition. there's gotta be a workaround for this kind of thing! i figured gparted would be able to do it. i think i was wrong.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Personally, I've never used gparted. However, a clean install runs so sweet! I think it's the only way to go.