Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Restarts Itself, Unsure If I Have A Virus

• Please log in to reply

SM_6

SM_6

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Everyone,

I have a computer with priceless pictures of my children on it & I desperately need to know if I can fix this computer. I used Windows Restore Disk to "restore" Windows XP system files only.

When I try to run virus software "deep scan" it will not complete. When I use Windows Explorer Search for my files it will automatically shut itself off.

So, I disabled "automatic shutdown" for system failure & this error came up:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Tech Info: IdechnDr.sys Address F8498B74 base at F8493000, Datestamp 3d99eac3

Stop:0x000000D1 (0x00000034, 0x00000002,0x00000000, 0xf8498b74)

Prior to the above problem happening a virus infected my computer & then I tried to do a "system restore" the computer reset itself in the middle & I couldn't start Windows XP & had to restore Windows XP System files to get Windows to load again. Can anyone tell me if I have a Virus, a Hardware, or Windows XP Software problem Please.

Any help will be appreciated, I really need it. Thank you everyone in advance for your valuable help & time.

Sincerely,

A Desperate Mami

Edited by SM_6, 31 January 2009 - 06:04 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
0x000000D1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
The system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. The most typical cause is a bad device driver (one that uses improper addresses). It can also be caused by caused by faulty or mismatched RAM, or a damaged pagefile.

http://support.micro...=810093&sd=RMVP

The idechnDr.sys file is the Intel storage driver. This may mean the virus has corrupted part of it or damaged the hard drive. Other than trying to find the lasest drivers for your chipset from the motherboard makers website, the only other thing i might try is to use the hard drive makers drive tools to check the drive for bad sectors and see if it can fix them. then try a defrag to see if the drive is OK.

If nothing else works you will need to probably replace the hard drive and start all over, sorry.

You may be able to slave the drive into another computer to save any pictures and data from the drive. You also may need to take ownership of the files in another computer.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 31 January 2009 - 06:28 AM.

SM_6

SM_6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

Thank you for the respond & advice, I really appreciate it. I did do as you advised I am still waiting on my computer's mfg to give me the information you asked me to find so I can update the drivers & etc. I will post those results once I get the information from Insignia.

When I was trying to understand what IdeChnDr.sys was - prior to receiving a reply from Geek To Go, I found this link url="http://www.file.net/...echndr.sys.html[/url]

It explained some malware camouflage themselves as IdeChnDr.sys when it is located in c:\windows or c:\windows\system32 folder.

If I run a virus scan such as Norton 2009 (This weekend I bought, Norton Internet Security 2009, it came w/Norton System Works & Norton Ghost) do you think I will ruin anything in the computer? Or should I follow the Maleware instuctions on Geeks To Go? - Just incase the virus isn't completely gone (still unsure if virus is completely gone), Or should I just wait to get the info from Insignia to update the drivers & etc? - I am scarred, confused, & nervous bcz I really don't want to loose my children's pictures & don't want to take the wrong step & wipe out everything. :)

Again thank you so much for your help & respond. It gave me some hope all is not lost & that I can do something to get my important files. It appears I will be learning more about recovering from a virus.

Thank you again so much for assisting me with your knowledge, goodness know I need it *nervous smile*

Edited by SM_6, 05 February 2009 - 10:02 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts

You may be able to slave the drive into another computer to save any pictures and data from the drive.

SRX660

This is a good advice. Before attempting any repairs please backup your priceless pictures. There are numerous ways to do this and I am quite sure that this can done with your hard disk. What srx660 suggested is one option. There are others, like booting the computer with another operating system like Puppy Linux. If you need help with the backup please let us know.

SM_6

SM_6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello Again SRX660 & The Skeptic,

I found this site here in one of the old postings: http://www.gtopala.c...w-download.html (I used the SIW StandAlone Option) It identified the vendors for my interal pc parts & etc AND a whole bunch of other additional information on my PC. I found my hard drive vendors info & obtained the software from Western Digital to scan my Hard Drive. I also see the Vendor for my Motherboard is Intel.

The Western Digital Scanner found "bad sectors" & asked me if I wanted to repair - I am not sure but it appeared to be 1 sector bad as the test result showed xxxxxx7 scanned out of xxxxxx8. However, it said I should backup data before attempting repair.

I also found this Intel info in my Windows XP Device Manager when I expanded "System Devices" (I don't know which one is my chipset so I can update the driver & some of the devices have NO drivers - Please help?:

Device Manager
>System Devices
* Intel® 8280 1DB LPC Interface Controller - 24C0 (Device Work Properly)
* Intel® 8280 1DB PCI Bridge - 244E (Device Work Properly)
* Intel® 8280 1DB/DBM SMBus Controller - 24C3 (No drivers are installed for this device)
* Intel® 82802 Firmware Hub Device (No drivers are installed for this device)
* Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV/ Processor to I/O Controller - 2560 (This device is working properly)

I would really appreciate help & guidance as to "how to" backup my Data. I would like to do this so I can try to attempt to repair the bad sector the hard drive software said it is able to repair w/o losing my pictures. Can I update the Intel Chipset Driver without doing the back up?

Thank you again for your help.

PS: The SIW Software tells me my hard drive temp is 37 Degrees C (99 Degrees F) is that a good temperature? Thank you again.

Edited by SM_6, 05 February 2009 - 07:59 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
One option to backup the data is to move the hard disk from your computer and connect it, temporarilly as slave (if the disk is IDE/ATAPI) or as a second drive (if the disk connection is SATA). It should show up in My Computer and allow transfer of files to another storage device.

Another option: Download Puppy Linux from my list of links below. Download "puppy 2.16.1 seamonkey fulldrivers.ISO". Burn the ISO file to create a bootable CD. For this purpose you can download BurnCDCC from the links below. It's a very simple tool, used exclusively to burn ISO files.

Insert the disk into the CD/DVD drive and boot the computer. Use the default setting except for choosing screen resolution of 600x800 when given the option to do so. After the program is loaded click the icon that looks like flash disk. This will open the file system and will enable browsing your folders. Find the folders that you want to backup, copy and paste them to another storage device.

If the computer doesn't boot, please set boot order in the BIOS so that the CD drive is first priority boot device.

SM_6

SM_6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Skeptic,

I hope this doesn't sound to naive, but I am new at this process (backing-up data & understanding how it works) I am unsure exactly what the Linux Puppy process is or how it works or what the system requirements are. I have Windows XP Home Edition. 160 GB Hard Drive, 512 MB DDR SDRAM, DVD-RW and CD ROM.

I tried finding a Manual for the version you named above but could not find one - this was all I could find. http://puppylinux.or...h/how-run-puppy

*I don't know how to access my BIOS.
*Can you please tell me what a ISO file is?
*I think I will be able to follow these directions. Although, I am unsure what this will do? Is is going to create a compressed file with all of the files I will copy? And if so, how will I be able to retrieve the files back to their orginal form to another pc?

Is the above process the same as individually copying & pasting the individual files to a CD or DVD? I am a little confused, I would appreciate it if you could please help me understand this method & what it does, & how can I retrieve my files on another computer? - I am not familiar with backup processes at all. I hope this is not to much to ask.

Also, can you please tell me what a flash disk looks like? One more question, could you possibly post snap shots of what the screens look like?

I am sorry there are so many questions, I just want to make sure I understand the process & do the steps correctly. Thank you so much for your help & time, I appreciate everything.

Edited by SM_6, 06 February 2009 - 11:41 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Puppy Linux is one of several tools, Linux or windows based, that make up a basic, functional, operating system. It's only about 90 MB in size so it loads itself into the RAM, working entirely from there, not needing any hard drive. Theses programs are extremely useful in emergencies when you can't boot from windows. They can be used for a number of things, emergency backups among them.

.ISO is a format of files. For our purpose it needs to be burned to a disk. Burning an .iso file is different from "normal" file burning. The tool I suggested (BurnCDCC) is made for this purpose and is easy to use. The rest of the instructions are in my previous post. Try to follow them and I hope you succeed.

SM_6

SM_6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi again,

Thank you for the quick respond. How big of a storage device will I need? Is the Linux Puppy "copy & paste" method the same as copy & paste from within Windows? Or does Linux Puppy compress the files?

One more question - thank you so much for being patient with me, what is the difference between slaving a drive & Linux Puppy or is it all basically the same "copy & Paste" files?

I know the technical aspect seems to be Waaayyy easier using Linux than slaving a drive, but I was wonder if it is basically the same function or is one method more efficient than the other? :) I just want to be sure bcz I really don't want to lose my children's pictures.

I am just trying to understand which method is the most efficient way to retreive/backup my files. Before I start the process & make sure I have a large enough storage device. Can I use a CD or Do I need a USB device to store my files?

I think what I am understanding is that Linux Puppy is compatiable with any Windows OS? So I should be able to just paste the files to another computer without loading any software on the 2nd computer?

Thank you again for your help. I am almost ready to do it *nervous smile*.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Both methods give the same results. It's only a matter of simplicity convenience and skill. Regardind the size of the backup disk, that depends on the volume of pictures you want to save. You can boot with Linux then find the folders you want to save, look for their volume, and that's what you need, plus some 20% extra space.

SM_6

SM_6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Skeptic,

Sorry for late respond. Had to leave town for family emergency, when I am able to work with the pc again, I will post the result. In the mean time, I want to be sure to thank you for your help, time, & quick responds.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know. Take your time.