Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SigmaTel Audio Crashes XP - Stop Error (Blue Screen)

• Please log in to reply

CainUllah

CainUllah

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi,

I have been trying to install a bit of software which keeps crashing on startup. I have narrowed down the cause of this to a corrupted sound card driver install. I have an on-board SigmaTel High Definition Audio codec on a Dell Latitude D830 Laptop.

I am trying to install a piece of music software called Native Instruments Traktor. I have an external sound card that I use with this but I am unable to start Traktor currently because it fails when trying to initialise the sound drivers that can be used with it. I have searched the many forums and spoke to Native Instruments technical support and they suggested that I uninstall/disable all sound devices and then re-install Traktor.

This is how I have found a problem with the SigmaTel Audio Device. If I try and disable it by going to: Device Manager>Sound Video & Game Controllers>SigmaTel High Definition Audio codec>Right Click properties>Device Usage>Do not use this device (Disable) it crashes Windows XP with a stop error (A blue screen which dumps the memory).

I have tried to update the drivers with the same results. I have tried un-installing the sound card (same result) and I have tried disabling the sound card by right clicking and choosing disable rather than going into properties and doing it there.

I am basically stuck with the SigmaTel High Definition sound card which appears to be operating perfectly well but I am sure it has some corrupt file that Traktor needs to access in order to load. I also think that the Dell drivers are trying to access this file when installing/uninstalling/disabling the sound card and hence the crash.

During one error it did report a problem with the sthda.sys file on the blue screen when XP crashed. This was when I tried to disable the sound card from the right click menu rather than through the sound card properties.

Please help. I am stuck.

Kind Regards
Cain

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit?

Have you tried to go into CMOS and disable the sound device there? That would disable it before Windows loads and it would no longer be in the hardware list at all.

just a thought...