Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recovering Data on Harddrive

• Please log in to reply

DZHANG

DZHANG

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, i have a really old hard drive that has been crashing alot, usually after running for 15 minutes. ive checked the rest of the hardware(all working fine) so i replaced the hard drive and i wanted to know the best way to copy the entire contents of the old hard drive over to the new one. just wanted to know your guys's opinions thanks!

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Not exactly sure what you're trying to do here. If you mean transfering "data", then all you have to do is mount the drive as a slave to your new drive and drag the files from the old drive to the new drive. If you're talking about moving the entire OS, programs, drivers, and data, then you're talking about cloning. There are many applications that can do this... ie, Acronis True Image, Ghost, etc. Even some manufacture's drive utilities can clone a drive. If you know the drive manufacture, check their website for free software to do this.