Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Advanced Option Menu & Bios Password Problems

• Please log in to reply

Brabus

Brabus

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hello
I had my friend post the following below. Since I couldn't access this site (explanation is in the link/thread below.) Lets just say its been a fun 2-3 days.

http://www.geekstogo...53#entry1445653

Between attempting to resolve this issues I was in the process of entering safe mode when I powered down the computer.

After this occured I was brought to the menu ""We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this." All my options are not working and it keeps going into cycles.

From there I hit F8 and went to other windows advanced options menu:

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Enable Boot Logging
Enable VGA Mode
Last Known Good Config
Directory Services Restore Mode
Debugging Mode
Disable automatic restart on system failure

Start Windows Normally
Reboot

I've tried all of these except for disable automatic restart on system failure and enable VGA mode.

I attempted to get into the BIOS however the password is not working and the only one I found since its Phoenix Technology (Password) - "phoenix"
did not work.

I have the recovery disk/disks and when prompted (Vaio Computer) did not give me the first option to restore original settings the other two choices were to restore everything to factory default and advanced restore... If I didn't have any important files on the computer I would just restore the computer however I hope that there is a way to retrive them.

I've gone through almost all the options I could research so I much appreciate the assisantance. I would also like to donate since for the help and fast response from the previous thread (link above).

Also I did follow the instructions regarding the system restore & ERUNT (I hope this helps)

http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

All my responses will be from my mobile phone. Thank you for your help

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Brabus...

You've got quite a collection of nasties there...

Lets see if we can find out why the machine isn't starting. From the Advanced Boot Options, choose "Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure". This will allow the BSOD to stay on-screen. There should be a stop code (series of numbers) and maybe a file name. Having that information may help us determine the problem or at least point us in the direction we need to go.

Please also provide us with the make and model of your machine if it is OEM.

wannabe1

Brabus

Brabus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hello Wannabe1
Thank you for the fast response as you mentioned I went to "disable automatic restart on system failure. From there it went to a screen (info below)

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen restart......

Technical information
***STOP: 0X000000ED (0x8A2459E0, 0xC0000006, 0X00000000, 0X00000000

The information from this screen ends above.

The make & model of my computer is
Sony Vaio VGN-S460

Feel free to let me know if any additional info is needed.
Thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have access to a machine with a cd burner installed?

We're going to need Recovery Console which is not included on the Sony Recovery cds. We can make a Recovery Console disk, however, providing you have access to a burner.

Brabus

Brabus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Wannabe1,
Yes I can get access to a computer with a burner (tomorrow)

Will u post a file that's downloadable or link with in this thread?
If needed you may send it to my secondary email address (let me know & I'll post it)

Thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'll post the links and the instructions here for you. I'll have them up for you in just a little bit,

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Download RC.iso and burn it to a cd as an ISO image. You may need a burning tool like ISO Recorder to do this...be sure to get the version for the operating system you'll be creating the disk on.

ISO Recorder will add the option "Copy Image to CD" to the Windows right click context menu. To start the burning application just right click on the ISO file you wish to burn (RC.iso) and choose "Copy Image to CD" from the menu. You can burn this disk using the default settings.

Once you have the disk created, put in in the drive of the Sony and restart...watch for the prompt "Press any key to boot from CD" and press the space bar when you see it appear at the top of the screen.

At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press R to start Recovery Console.

Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press "Enter".

When you are asked for the Administrator password, leave it blank and press "Enter".

At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r and press "Enter". (Note the space before /r)

The disk check operation will start.

This will be a very thorough check of the hard drive and the file system...be patient and let it complete. It may appear to hang or even back up a few times...this is normal. 60 to 90 minutes is not unusual for this check...it may take longer in some cases.

Once the check completes and you are back at the command prompt, type exit and press "Enter". Let your computer attempt to boot normally to Windows.

Brabus

Brabus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thank you for the info & detailed instructions. I will do this tomorrow & post the update

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Good luck!

If you run into problems, I should be online most of the day...off and on.

Brabus

Brabus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I just purchased a new desktop with Vista to use as a backup in case this occurs again and so I have at least a backup.

My question is since its Vista machine. The ISO burner needs to be Vista correct? Its an AMD 64 Vista Basic Edition. I hope this will work because I downloaded the RC.iso and iso recorder on seprate CD's. I hope that I can load the ISO burner on the new Vista desktop and take the RC.ISO file and transfer it to the the ISO burner. I'm asking this because I downloaded the RC.iso file first.

I know this sounds complicated however I've been going back and forth between machines. Hopefully it will work will keep you update. I'll be watching the SuperBowl while working on this. :)

Thanks

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That should work just fine. Yes...ISO Recorder must match the operating system it will be installed on.

I'll be watching the game, too...so my response time may be a little slow. :)

Brabus

Brabus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
No worries I'm already impressed on your response time :)

The computer is currently disc check mode..

Regarding my previous post(link below) do I need to make new post if everything works out after the disc check?

http://www.geekstogo...53#entry1445653

My main question is I ran only AVG anti-virus before and did run Zone Alarm Firewall which was causing some issue. I just decide to run the basic Windows firewall after Zone Alarm was causing some issues. I think this caused a majority of the problems.

Is AVG anti-virus + firewall sufficent enough? I sometimes run my computer at coffee shops (starbucks, etc.), airports, and other locations were there is open access. I don't mind paying for software or hardware (portable) that will protect the computer from everything and not have this problem again.

Brabus

Brabus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Once the check completes and you are back at the command prompt, type exit and press "Enter". Let your computer attempt to boot normally to Windows.

One additional question do I need to remove the CD after it attempts to boot normally to Windows?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'd go ahead and let the malware expert have a look to make sure you're clean. I took the liberty of advising him of the situation, so he knows we're working this problem.

As for a security suite, I've yet to find one I like more than ESET Smart Security.

Let me know how the disk check turns out... :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

One additional question do I need to remove the CD after it attempts to boot normally to Windows?

No...just ignore the "Press any key" prompt and let it try to boot normally.