Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card selection

• Please log in to reply

st1rn3r

st1rn3r

• Pip
  • 1 posts
So, I have never really done any intensive gaming on computers before. The last games that I played were Age of Empires II and Alpha Centauri (which was yesterday), so I've never bothered trying to build a computer than can play the latest games. I just recently began making more money, and so I'm thinking that I want to get into it. Here are my specs at the moment:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x2 5200+
RAM: 2 GB (2 x 1 GB) 1066
HD: 750GB
Motherboard: Zotac - don't have specific model number, can look it up if needed
Free Slots: 1x PCI-E 2 x16 slot

and

Video Card: Integrated GeForce 8100

Obviously, my video card sucks. I can't play any games on it (not that I have any games to play that were made after 2002 or so), and I'd like to change this.

I'm looking at a GeForce 9600-based video card on NewEgg (EVGA 01G-P3-N870-AR GeForce 9600 GT 1GB 256-bit GDDR3) (~$150) and was wondering if anyone thought it was a good deal? Or if there were any better options available. I'm trying to keep it under $200, and note that I'm not looking to play Crysis or anything.

Advertisements

ss4elby

ss4elby

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
150$ isnt too bad for the 9600 GT its not a bad card either i personally use one and dont have any real issues with newer games.