Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DIsplay Problems

• Please log in to reply

Chris1337

Chris1337

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok, basically I've bought a new pc (not a pre built one, just components) as of last wednesday, me and my flatmates assembled it and got it all running but the cpu was severely overheating so we stopped using it and got a new cpu heatsink and thermal compound, whereupon we disassembled and reassembled it in order to install them.

After doing this the computer starts up but no display appears on the monitor. When using a vga cable it says check signal cable on the monitor, and when using dvi it does not, but either way there is no display. We have replaced both the graphics card and the motherboard and still it is not working. We don't think either of the new components are damaged although it is an unlikely possibility. We know the monitor works as we have tested it on another pc.

The hard drive still has the drivers for the old graphics card on it as we have obviously been unable to wipe it due to having no display, but I do not know if this will make a difference. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could possibly be?

Advertisements

beatlehair

beatlehair

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey, would you post the specs for the mobo and processor you're testing? you say you replaced motherboards, did you test the memory on both Mobos as well? Is the fan or cooling system running? some motherboards won't let you use the CPU if the cooling system is not working.

Chris1337

Chris1337

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
It's an E8400 graphics card, a P5QL motherboard, a 650 watt power supply and a 9800 GT graphics card. Everything is definately working to at least some extent, ie all the fans are running on every component, green light on the motherboard etc.