Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ad-Aware Anniversary edition

• Please log in to reply

butterflygirl70

butterflygirl70

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello, I have tried and tried and tried to install the new Free Ad-Aware Anniversary edition on my dads computer for him. But something keeps poping up and saying there isn't enough room. So I went in to "all programs" then "acessories" then "system tools" and clicked on "disc clean up" that gave us a list of things we could delete to make more room...so we did that, then tried to download the ad-aware again, and it still had the same thing pop up about not enough room. So then I tried a defrag, and you could clearly see that it made more room...so I tried to install the adaware again and it still said "you need 250 mb....ect. I'm not sure what else to try. I installed it in my comp. no problem. Any suggestions? Thank you :)

Advertisements

Casss

Casss

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Go to My Computer and on your disk right click and click properties. See how much space you have left. Post how much space here.

butterflygirl70

butterflygirl70

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Go to My Computer and on your disk right click and click properties. See how much space you have left. Post how much space here.

Hi, thank you for responding! I asked my dad to do this, and these are the numbers: USED SPACE-8726720512 bytes 29.1 GB
FREE SPACE- 31281008640 bytes 29.1 GB
CAPACITY- 40007729152 bytes 37.2 GB

When the "pie" shape was shown on my dads computer, the colour indicated that only 1/4 of the pie was used space. And there was still 3/4 of the "pie" left. So this really doesn't make sense now. Also, I can't understand why the error message kept comming up when we were trying to install the ad-aware saying "250 GB needed" to install this. That seems like alot for ad-aware, doesn't it?

butterflygirl70

butterflygirl70

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Hi, thank you for responding! I asked my dad to do this, and these are the numbers: USED SPACE-8726720512 bytes 29.1 GB
FREE SPACE- 31281008640 bytes 29.1 GB
CAPACITY- 40007729152 bytes 37.2 GB

When the "pie" shape was shown on my dads computer, the colour indicated that only 1/4 of the pie was used space. And there was still 3/4 of the "pie" left. So this really doesn't make sense now. Also, I can't understand why the error message kept comming up when we were trying to install the ad-aware saying "250 GB needed" to install this. That seems like alot for ad-aware, doesn't it?

Does anyone have any advice for me regarding this today?

Abydos

Abydos

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
Hi

Have you tried download it from a different site?

Like:

http://www.lavasoft...._aware_free.php

For more download sites, expand under the download button.

Regards Abydos

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Butterflygirl,

250mb is a lot of space for just ad-aware. The program it self is only like 40mb or so. Try that link in the previous post. You can also search for it on download.com That previous link directs you to download.com usually. I trust this site and use it first to search for every program I want to download.

You may have downloaded something other than ad aware and not known it by accident. I have done this before when I just google a program and download from some random link. Its a trick and that's why I always go to download.com.

See if that works and let us know how it goes.

lilmama

lilmama

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
No matter *where* I go to d/l this program.... I get the same "You need at least 256 MB" yadda yadda yadda.

My response is this: "BYE AD-AWARE! I don't need your aggravation!

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I think you may just need to change the label of a removable drives letter to get it to work. I had this same problem with downloading adobe flash player once. I had to change a driver letter of a jump drive or floppy drive, anything removable, to the letter C. You can see how to do that here That might be the problem as well.

Give it a try and you can just change the drive letter back after your done.

butterflygirl70

butterflygirl70

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Butterflygirl,

250mb is a lot of space for just ad-aware. The program it self is only like 40mb or so. Try that link in the previous post. You can also search for it on download.com That previous link directs you to download.com usually. I trust this site and use it first to search for every program I want to download.

You may have downloaded something other than ad aware and not known it by accident. I have done this before when I just google a program and download from some random link. Its a trick and that's why I always go to download.com.

See if that works and let us know how it goes.

Yes, we were trying to download it from download.com I really like that site too. So now I guess we'll have to try the whole "renaming a letter"...and see if we can figure that out. It's funny how someone else had the same problem with the "need more space thing". I don't want to give up though, I really like Ad-aware.

Thank you all very much for all your help. I'll write again if we fix this problem. :)

lilmama

lilmama

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Finally went to the Lavasoft Support Forums -- found only one complaint re: "Ad-Aware AE wants 256 MB Physical Memory". The person asking for help was dealing w/his HP/Compaq laptop. A Moderator replied, and I quote: "It's quite common for laptops to share their system memory with the graphics card, resulting in less system memory. My guess is that your laptops graphics card has taken 32MB or more from the system memory, and the installer only sees the remaining memory as available, which is correct.

Either you upgrade your laptop, (laptop memory is quite cheap), or you can try to convince lavasoft to lower the installer requirements."

The last Thread -- I won't bother typing --- as the person was only expressing his opinion --

My original comment still stands. Bye Bye Ad-Aware. Though I *am* curious as to how things work out using JAR300's suggestion.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
That seems like a very logical explanation about the physical memory. Thats the same as your RAM(memory). You might be able to adjust this in the BIOS settings, but I would recommend you talk to someone other than I that is a little more comfortable directing you in how to deal with the BIOS settings. Or, upgrading your RAM. I am ok on my computers, but they all seem to be set up different, so I'm not about to tell you where to go or how to do it. LOL

You may be able to find how to do this in your user manual if you still have it or your computer's brands website.

Anyone else feel comfortable with explaining how to do all that? Or, feel comfortable telling her how to upgrade her RAM(memory). Is that what she needs to do?

Butterfly, I think what lilmama found is your problem.

Edited by JAR300, 07 February 2009 - 11:40 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
How much memory does the computer have?
Go to start/ and right click on "my computer" and click on properties.

What is the manufacturer and model of the computer?
How old is the computer?
What OS is the computer running?

butterflygirl70

butterflygirl70

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
123Runner, I have sent this page to my dads computer, and asked him to get all the info, which he will then send to me and I'll post on here. Can you please tell me what OS is though?

Thanks again everyone!

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Lavasofts site list these specs needed.

Processor
Intel Pentium 600 MHz or better
RAM
Operating system + minimum 100 MB
Free hard disk space
100 MB recommended
Operating Systems
Windows Vista (32 and 64-bit), Windows XP (32-bit), Windows 2000 Pro

How many drives or partitions are on your Dads computer?

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
OS stands for Operating System...as in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, 98, etc.