Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Simpleton help needed!

• Please log in to reply

dpotts05

dpotts05

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I dont know if i am in the correct forum part, but it looked like a good place to plant myself for now, since my eyeballs are beginning to bug outta my head and im ready to make a trip to the local pharmacy for nerve pills....heres my dilema...

my husband has an ati radeon 9800 pro...
used with an asus motherboard...
windows xp operating system..., computer was custom built approximately 3-4 years ago. after a mother load of spyware and malware, a certain reinstall of windows xp was in order. now comes the big time troubles, for what once worked now doesnt even come close! windows installs fine, & after the million updates, his system will not allow him to update the driver for the 9800 pro. system runs like poo with the latest driver update, which i believe was 8. something or other. this is making us nutz and i cant read another forum post, nor go through another driver cleaner upper that u install,,,scan,,,then have to buy. a simple game like DDD pool, he can load, but once the screen of choosing style of pool u want to play comes up, comp either freezes or displays artifacts out the wahzooo.....

another tidbit of info, any type of pc scan that he uses, runs fine, except when it gets to a scan of d3d, then comp freezes and he has to do a cold shut down... comp also when turned on, makes some horrid sounds, in fact, it is starting to moo like a cow, what in heavens name would that be???

if someone could please give me some insight on what we are overlooking i would greatly appreciate it...also, if you could possibly explain it like i were a fourth grader, that would be even better, we know a good bit about comp lingo, but we are no where near rocket scientry yet. thanks for the help in advance...dpotts05

Edited by dpotts05, 02 February 2009 - 09:06 PM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

Sorry you're having so much problems. Don't you just hate windows, sometimes! :)

The correct formula to install windows is...
Install Windows
Install the Chipset driver
Install Video Card driver
Install the rest of whatever drivers your comp needs
Update Windows

This formula works best because you don't have to worry about windows acting like the police and not allowing your drivers to go in. Heaven only knows what is stopping the vid driver install.

Have you tried downloading the updated driver from ATI? HERE is the link. I recommend you scroll down the page and download/install only the Display Driver found in sub heading Option 2. If this driver doesn't work, I can upload an older driver for the 9800 Pro. However, I will only upload the driver itself and not all the rest of the junk that's on the CD. Let me know.

Pottsie24

Pottsie24

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello makai i hope this helps...this is my specs on my pc and im the husband of the poster...dpotts...aka Dawn...Thanks for the reply and hopefully i can get some kind of solution from here...Thanks to all in advance...Bob

Motherboard:ASUS A7N8X-X

Basic Input Output Systme(BIOS): Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG

Central Processing Unit(CPU): AMD Athlon™

Physical Memory X 2

512MB

512MB

Hard Disk: WDC WD800BB-00JHA0 (75GB)

Video Card X 2

Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

Video Controller

Monitor X 2

Default Monitor

Default Monitor

Audio Device: NVIDIA® nForce™ Audio

Network Adapter: Local Area Connection - NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Adapter (Connected)

Keyboard: Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard

Mouse: PS/2 Compatible Mouse

Pottsie24

Pottsie24

• Pip
  • 2 posts
The link to the 9.1 Ati drivers did not work either...i tryed everything...dont think i can take another install...Please help or am i doomed for another install?...Thank you guys...Just very...very frustrated....Bob

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello Bob,

If I'm reading this correctly, you are running 2 video cards? Truthfully, every older machine I've worked on could not utilize 2 different video cards at the same time. There were always some kind of driver conflict and I'm not even sure its possible as I've never even attempted it on my own machines. Have you always ran two cards without problems in this PC?

Besides the 9800 Pro, what other video card do you have in there?

Edited by makai, 03 February 2009 - 02:52 PM.

dpotts05

dpotts05

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok now u have us stumped, lol...we have winxp manager and that is all the info that it brings up under system information. as far as we know, Bob is only using one vid card, which is the radeon, what the other stuffs is, we are not quite sure, and unsure why it is detecting others, good heavens, local tavern here we come! ugh! any ideas?? thanks dawn and bob....i just took a second look and from i gather so far, the two vid controllers that u see pretains to primary and secondary, i guess because we used to use dual monitors on each of our machines, phew, i was scared there for a moment, lol....

Edited by dpotts05, 03 February 2009 - 03:34 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ahhh, yes... Come to think of it, I do remember that the ATI 9800 driver would put 2 entries into Device manager under the video tab.

I also forgot to ask... are you running XP with SP3. Sometimes SP3 will mess up drivers. Not sure if this is the actual case, but something to consider.

In any case, I have uploaded an older ATI 9600/9800 vid driver to rapidshare. HERE is the link. Please be sure to uninstall all previous drivers and restart your computer, before installing this driver. When windows restarts, it will probably promt you with a message to locate the video driver. Just cancel the message. After your computer is fully up and running, install the video driver.

If this doesn't work, you may have to reinstall XP, as a vid driver shouldn't give you this much problems. If you weigh the hours you've been troubleshooting this problem, versus a reinstall, you might find a reinstall would take a shorter time... although, still a bit of work.

dpotts05

dpotts05

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thank you much...thats funny you say that because he just finished reinstalling...but his origanal drivers that came with his 9800 dont work...so hes gonna try your drivers...ill keep ya informed and hes waiting to download any windows updates till he gets his drivers to work...ty for the help...very much appreciated...dawn

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Please don't forget to install the Chipset driver directly after installing Windows. This driver is necessary so the Processor can communicate with the motherboard North and South bridge, USB, etc, efficiently. It's important this goes in first.

Good luck!

dpotts05

dpotts05

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
hideeho again Makai

well after crackin a few open, lol. we are still back to where we started from and one keyboard later, giggles, i know it is a driver issue for this particular card, it is just finding the correct ones, and i know it is a older driver. the ones that you sent bob didnt work either but nonetheless he thanks you from the bottom of his heart for attempting to help...we are just simply stumped. his internet now is not working correctly and will probably be responding to you from my comp. hehe, he wants to know if you will be in pa anytime soon, lol,,,or he said if he finds out shipping costs he will ship the hunkie junkie to ya and let you have at it and see if you can figure out this goofy thing, lol.....we will keep you posted along the way hopefully theres light at the end of his tunnel! thanks again and we will keep ya posted,,,thanks, from dawn and bob from pa :) :)

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Something is definitely weird, and if I were in PA, I would absolutely drive to your house and personally help you!

Can you check Device Manager... go to Start> run... type in devmgmt.msc , then click OK, and see if there are any yellow or red marks listed. If there are, please let me know what they are, or take a screenshot and attach it to your next post?

In my signature is an application called Printscreen. Please download/install if you need a program for screenshots. You will need to configure Printsceen to save jpegs so you can post photos on the board. If you find you can't figure out how to configure Printscreen, just let me know.

By the way, are you getting an error message of some sort when you attempt to install the driver?

Thanks!

Edited by makai, 04 February 2009 - 01:49 AM.

dpotts05

dpotts05

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Just wanted to add an update to our situation...
PROBLEM LIES IN CLOSET,,,HAHAHAHAHA...

thank heavens we used to be big time online nascar gamers and had another comp just sittin round...we have to problem child with all its issues in the closet now, and resorted to the dinosaur comp that we had set up for our son to race online with, now all this one needs is more juice to make it run with my big dawg, giggles....after many trips to the drugstore, state store, online comp stores, and bottle after bottle of advil. well to make this long agonizing story short, we just put the other comp on the back burner for now...thanks so much for all your help and support/troubleshooting with us, it means a great deal to us;) so major kudos to u in SoCal:) hope to keep in touch with ya! be chattin with ya again soon im sure,,,thanks again, dawn and bob from pa!

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Well, if you ever get going on your "closet skeleton" again, just send me a pm to let me know!

Talk to you later! :)