Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error messages

• Please log in to reply

cram

cram

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi,

For some time I have been receiving the following message

"Out of memory at line (insert number of your choice up to about 700)"

Today I recived another one of these and I then tried to open a program that I have installed to take a screenshot of it. Then the following appeared for the first time

"Insufficient system recources exist to comlplete the requested service"

Then the following following

"Out of memory"

Then

"Exception Oxe06d7363 occured in the application at location Ox7c812aeb"

The last time I did a defrag there was over 30% free space on the machine.

Could someone please tell me the significance of this and wether there is a problem and if so how to fix it.

I am running Windows XP Home and would be happy to provide any other information you need

Cheers,

Cram

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
How much RAM do you have?

cram

cram

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
448MB according to 'My Computer', 'Properties'

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
When does this error occur? Is it random? Or when you try to run a specific program? Or...?

cram

cram

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I think usually when I am reading emails.

Cram

cram

cram

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I use gmail and I think I detect it slowing down before the incidents occur.

Cram

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
If you use Gmail, then you use the Webmail, right? If that's the case, then it shouldn't only be specific to email, it should happen any time that you're online. What browser do you use?

cram

cram

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I use Internet Explorer 7.

I have noticed that it seems to be taking longer for the viris scanner to scan email attachments lately.

I am running the latest Norton product and I understand that Norton can be a bit of a RAM hog.

Cram

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Yes - Norton is an extreme RAM hog. I would try downloading Firefox and seeing if that helps any. If it doesn't, I would recommend removing Norton and putting on Avast! Anti-Virus. Avast! is a free Anti-Virus program, and doesn't tend to hog stuff as much as Norton. The choice is yours, but that would be my recommendation.

cram

cram

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thank you for that. I have been considering dropping Norton for some time now and installing ESET. Does this hog as much as Norton?

Cram

Advertisements

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello cram

The system requirements are as follows

NIS08

Hardware requirements:

* 300MHz or higher processor
* 256MB of RAM
* 350MB of available hard disk space
Taken from: http://www.norton-so...em-requirements

ESET Smart Security System / ESET NOD32 Antivirus (3.0 )

Windows 2000, XP, 2003
400 MHz 32-bit (x86)
128MB RAM of system memory
35MB available space
Super VGA (800 x 600)

Taken from : http://kb.eset.com/e...tent&id=SOLN358

As you can see norton requires more RAM , at functioning level.. 256MB RAM , not for optimum performance though...

while Eset only requires 128MB RAM

It depends on what version and package of norton you are running though... and yes... norton is a resource hogger :)

And it also depends on what ESET you are wanting to install...

Good luck !!!

Anthony19

BTW: i recommend 1 GB RAM , Bare minimum...

Edited by Anthony19, 13 February 2009 - 03:09 AM.

cram

cram

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
My machine operates on 448MB of RAM and if I read you correctly you would recomend one gig.

I am a bit of a novice at all this. Should I increase this and if so how do I go about this or do I need to have someone professionally do this for me?

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello cram

You are looking for 1000MB+ RAM

that is 1GB+ of RAM

1,000bytes = 1KB ( Kilobyte)
1,000KB = 1MB (Megabytes )
1,000MB=1GB ( gigabyte )
1,000GB = 1TB ( Terabyte )

Like water principle 1000Ltrs = 1 Kilolitre etc etc :)

Edited by Anthony19, 13 February 2009 - 06:27 AM.

cram

cram

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Please read my question again. I realise the arithmatic involved but I am asking how I go about increasing the RAM.

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
If you Wish to preform the RAM module upgrade yourself , that is fine...

First of all you will need to Buy a Module to suite your computer... ( Compatible )

I recommend you download Everest to receive the information ( free of course )

Everest can be located @ http://www.geekstogo...rest-file9.html

Click on + sign next to motherboard and select SPD that should give you all the information needed to order another ram module , if you wish you can use the same manufacture but get 1 GB Module ( not 256 or 512 ) ( if you want and your computer supports it , you can install 2x1GB up to about 4 GB as far as i know... )

To see what your memory controller supports simply select + on computer select DMI then to the right select "memory controller " bottom screen in the Field and Value section should see "Supported Memory Types "that is the TYPE of RAM module you are looking for THEN maximum Memory module SIZE then finally the "Memory Slots " is the amount of modules your computer supports...

If you wish to save this information ( RAM Module Information and what the computer supports )

click on "Report "icon , select "Next ", select " Custom Selection " click on the "EVEREST -Report " ( Blue ! icon in a circle next to it ) then click on the + next to motherboard and check the box next to SPD is selected
ALSO , click + next to " Computer " and select "DMI"

Ensure only the SPD, DMI , Motherboard , computer and Everest report box's are ticked , or you will end up with a quiet extensive list :)

PLEASE NOTE: Ram modules are Electrostatic sensitive , and you CAN Electric-Shock the Motherboard and damaged certain components , if steps are not taken to discharge any static electricity from your body

If you need to... please PRINT THESE STEPS before you attempt the fitment/installment of the RAM Module(s)

1. First of all, you need to shut off your computer
To do this press the power button on the front of the computer after you have shut it down from Start> Shutdown on your start menu.

2. Unplug the power cord from the back of your computer.
This is the big black/white/grey plug that plugs into the power supply
on the back of your PC.

3. Unplug the rest of the wires from the back of the computer
Eg: keyboard, mouse , speakers , monitor , printer etc

4. Find a flat surface to use as your workbench/workstation

5. Unscrew all screws from the back of your computer except the power supply screws
You will make a possibly costly mess if you unscrew the power supply screws , please take note of the screw you are taking out...

6. Open your computer by taking the side panel off, or sliding the cover off.
It may be quiet hard to take off but it will come off if you have taken all the correct screws out.

5. Now before touching anything inside, it is a good idea to hook up to an anti-static wrist strap. If you dont have an anti-static wrist strap, just touch the side of the computer where it is metal to de-energize your body.
Then when you touch the inner components you wont risk damaging them !

7. Find the RAM module..
it should be a about 4 inch card sticking out horizontally on the motherboard

8. Once you find the RAM module
locate the clips holding it in postition on either end of the ram
hold your thumb over both ends of the clips and firmly press down on the clips
They should pop the ram out

9. Remove the RAM

10. Now that you've removed the RAM..
the next step is to reinsert some new RAM into your memory controller slots ( RAM Slots )
To do this keep the clips on both sides open ( take note: the dimple/lump on the motherboard side slot and the cut in the bottom of the ram module to line them locations up) and slide the ram into the slot if it doesn't want to go in you might have it going in backwards so try both ways until you get a good fit and the clips are back in postition
Make sure the RAM module is even and not lop-sided when its clamped down or it will not work ( you need good contact across (both sides) the ram module for it to be detected by your computer system)

Thank you for your patience
you have now Upgraded your RAM Module yourself :)

Congratulation's !
Happy Computing

Anthony19

Edited:

Just some Examples

Look for
--------[ DMI ]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And you are looking for

[ Memory Controller ]

Memory Controller Properties:
Error Detection Method None
Error Correction None
Supported Memory Interleave 1-Way
Current Memory Interleave 1-Way
Supported Memory Speeds 70ns, 60ns, 50ns
Supported Memory Types SIMM, DIMM, SDRAM
Supported Memory Voltages 2.9V
Maximum Memory Module Size 1024 MB
Memory Slots 4

That is what your memory controller supports...

and all below
--------[ SPD ]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will help you get another Module , just goto the website and look for compatible RAM

Sorry for any inconvience

Good luck!!!

Happy computing
Anthony19

Edited by Anthony19, 13 February 2009 - 06:45 AM.