Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Major Meltdown

• Please log in to reply

SIZZLIN1

SIZZLIN1

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
:tazz: ;) ;)
ERROR MESSAGE:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

“DELL” won’t offer any advice without the purchase of a software contract.

“Best Buy” wants 60.00 to diagnose the problem, 60.00 to back-up the hard drive, and 80.00 to reinstall programs and backed-up data.

I have been out of work for two years. I don’t have the cash for repair; and really need the computer for my job search.

Does anyone have a free or less expensive option to recover my data and get back up and running?

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Did you read the procedure for repairing Win XP here :

Repair Win XP Procedures

This should help you repair the files you need. Hope you have the CD.

If you don't have the CD, can you give me the exact names of files needed? Might be able to find them for you.

Ron

SIZZLIN1

SIZZLIN1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ron-
This is fantastic information, because YOU are giving me some hope that I will not loose the info on my hard drive!!!
I have followed the steps as described down to the following message:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Next, Windows Setup will find existing Windows XP installations. You will be asked to repair an existing XP installation, or install a fresh copy of Windows XP.

If no installations are found, then you will not be given the option to repair. This may happen if the data or partition on your drive is too corrupted.

Note: If you install a fresh copy, all data on that partition will be lost!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I WANT TO BE SURE WHAT TO DO FROM HERE, BECAUSE MY OPTIONS APPEAR TO BE A LITTLE DIFFERENT THAT THE ONE'S IN THE INSTRUCTIONS.
I have NOT been given an option to "repair." The EXACT MESSAGE/OPTIONS ARE AS FOLLOWS:

Windows XP Professional Set-up
-------------------------------------

The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer.

Use the UP and Down keys to select an item in the list.
To set up Windows XP on the selected item, press ENTER.
To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C.
To delete the selected partition, press D.

76341 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]

C: Partition1 [NTFS] 76332 MB (67697 MB free)
Unpartitioned space 8 MB

ENTER: INSTALL D=Delete Partition F3=Quit

RON---I'M PRETY SURE YOU DON'T WANT ME TO ENTER INSTALL; BUT I'm not sure what to do to prevent lose of current info.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP! WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE?

Edited by SIZZLIN1, 07 May 2005 - 09:50 AM.

SIZZLIN1

SIZZLIN1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have followed the WIN FIX XP steps as described down to the following message:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Next, Windows Setup will find existing Windows XP installations. You will be asked to repair an existing XP installation, or install a fresh copy of Windows XP.

If no installations are found, then you will not be given the option to repair. This may happen if the data or partition on your drive is too corrupted.

Note: If you install a fresh copy, all data on that partition will be lost!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I WANT TO BE SURE WHAT TO DO FROM HERE, BECAUSE MY OPTIONS APPEAR TO BE A LITTLE DIFFERENT THAT THE ONE'S IN THE INSTRUCTIONS.
I have NOT been given an option to "repair." The EXACT MESSAGE/OPTIONS ARE AS FOLLOWS:

Windows XP Professional Set-up
-------------------------------------

The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer.

Use the UP and Down keys to select an item in the list.
To set up Windows XP on the selected item, press ENTER.
To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C.
To delete the selected partition, press D.

76341 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]

C: Partition1 [NTFS] 76332 MB (67697 MB free)
Unpartitioned space 8 MB

ENTER: INSTALL D=Delete Partition F3=Quit

RON---I'M PRETY SURE YOU DON'T WANT ME TO ENTER INSTALL; BUT I'm not sure what to do to prevent lose of current info.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP! WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE?

Once again...I am unable to access SAFE MODE, so I REALLY nneed to know how to process (if possible) without erasing current hard drive data.

THANKS RON...AND EVERYONE

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
If you are not getting any options to repair after carefully following the instructions given in "Repair Win XP" and what the Recovery Console shows you, then you will need to note this :

This may be what is happening. How much do you need to recover in personal files? Do you have a backup utility that will run from DOS? It's the only thing I can think of doing right now. I do not have Win XP Pro currently on my PC so can't give step-by-step possibilities for recovery since you can not get into Safe Mode. If you can get to the DOS prompt you can save your files.

Sorry for not being more help at this stage to save you from repairing by reinstalling XP. Hopefully, someone may come up with other options for you.

Ron.