Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deciphering a BSoD

• Please log in to reply

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
We have another ntkrnlpa.exe error.
It's a system file, so....

Go Start>Run ("Start Search" in Vista), type in:
sfc /scannow
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) will find any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc won't find any errors in Windows XP, it'll simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it here: http://www.flyupload.com/, and post download link.

Advertisements

pr0n

pr0n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
tried that, it's xp pro btw
no matter what I do it refuses to work, I've tried xp pro sp3 disc, sp2 disc, an original XP disc XP pro corp disc (all of these where tried in both physical form and by mounting the image)

no matter what disc it is it keeps asking me to insert a disc (NOTE: it does not give me the incorrect disc error that it does if I put in XP home or something like that)

I can keep clicking retry and the bar will still make progress although I'm pretty sure it isn't

tried a repair install to no effect, don't have a '%systemroot%\logs' directory, I'm fairly certain my crap stick of RAM caused errors during the initial windows install, I'm contemplating backing up the data and reinstalling as I want to setup a RAID 5 on this machine anyways

unless you can think of anything else

Edited by pr0n, 10 February 2009 - 07:48 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Are you booting from the disk?

pr0n

pr0n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
negative, I did the SFC scan like normal (I'm familiar with it) with both the actual disc and a mounted image to make sure i didn't have a scratched disc or faulty drive, and aside from that tried a repair install (booting to the disc) because the SFC scan is also completed at the end of the windows install if I'm not mistaken\

Edited by pr0n, 10 February 2009 - 10:02 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Disregard my question: Are you booting from the disk?
I was probably replying to some other topic :)

So, now, sfc found some errors, and was asking you for CD, correct?
What was the file, sfc found?

it's xp pro btw

Are you sure, it's not XP Media Edition?

pr0n

pr0n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
positive it's not media center.
it won't display the file it found, all it says is that it's a DLL file and doesn't specify a name unless you know something I din't about that. yes it asks for the disk, I put the disk in and it DOESN'T SAY IT'S THE WRONG DISC if I put in the pro disc it just pops up again and asks to retry I can keep continuously clicking retry and it will just keep popping up, if I put in something like XP home or MC THEN it says wrong disc.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
What actually happens, if you try repair install?

pr0n

pr0n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
it does everything like normal but changes nothing, it goes through the finalization process and everything without error(when it asks you for log in names and all that jazz) but after wards I can still do the SFC scan and it will find the errors and want the disc...... and then not work

I'm completely baffled, are you yet?
honestly I'm ready to start a betting pool with anyone (w/ credentials) that thinks they can fix it via remote login. (after necessary precautions are taken of course) I've tried everything I can think of, everything my computer tech classes have taught and more.

Edited by pr0n, 10 February 2009 - 10:07 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Pretty much so.
We may run HD diagnostic, as well: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287

pr0n

pr0n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
sorry I beat ya to it, it's a brand new Seagate and seatools has been ran with no errors.

Edited by pr0n, 10 February 2009 - 10:10 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
...and it's brand new XP installation?

pr0n

pr0n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
yes sir :) the same disc that was used to isntall this one has been used on 3 machines since then and has had no issues. I just want to avoid formatting because I installed so many programs that can't be backed up. and every hour I spend getting it back up and running is an hour I'm not working on other things that don't have a tentative schedule... I've never had a BSoD I couldn't at least figure out what the cause was which is why I'm here and avoiding the format option like it's the plague. but, it may be my only option

Edited by pr0n, 10 February 2009 - 10:19 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
It may be. I'm running out of options here, short of saying, that simply Windows installation went wrong at some point.

pr0n

pr0n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
okie dokie thanks for sticken it out. at least we found some bad RAM which may have cause that windows install to go bad. thanks for the help

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Good shower, which I just took, sometimes brings some new toughts.
Remember, at some point, you discovered bad RAM stick.
That alone could have botched the installation, by the bad RAM relying incorrect/corrupt info during installation.