Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing hard drive space - 60 gigs

• Please log in to reply

canadanorth

canadanorth

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hello there,

My relatively new Lenovo ThinkPad T61p (Windows XP) has recently reported that I am using 85% of the hard disk capacity.

When I add up all the drive C folders, they occupy roughly 60 gigs. My "Computer Management" is showing that my hard drive is "healthy" and that its capacity is 142 gigs, while I have only 22.6 gigs of free space.

So, where are my 60 gigs? I have run some spyware/malware software and have not found anything. I also cleaned temp files etc., but that did not change the situation.

I'd very much appreciate your help. Thank you! :)

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Recovery partition, restore points, hibernation file, page file, hidden files, system files, etc....all add up.

canadanorth

canadanorth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Thanks for the quick reply.

I have just used a program called "spacemonger" and it found two directories that take up the missing space:

C:\RRbackups

C:\System Volume Information

Any idea how I could reclaim some of the hard disk space?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
First one - IBM's Rapid Restore & Recovery
Second one - restore points
You don't want to touch any of them.

Try moving some data: pictures, videos, music. Get external HD. You can have 500GB drive for under $100.

canadanorth

canadanorth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Great -- thanks so much for your help! I just wanted to know what is going on with my machine, was not sure whether it was infected etc. :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Yeah, that's pretty common assumption: I'll add up all folders on C, and it should be about my HD taken space, right? Wrong, as you can see :)