Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD/DVD driver isn't working

• Please log in to reply

kyjelly44

kyjelly44

• Pip
  • 9 posts
My CD/DVD drive no longer works. When I go to look at my different drivers (A,C,D,E, etc), it doesn't appear. Also, when i boot my computer, a message comes up on a white colored screen that says something along the lines of "Error with modular bay." I have tried to physically remove the drive and re-insert (and this has worked once in the past) it, but that no longer helps. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
If re-seating didn't help,

The Device in the system modular bay cannot be identified. It may not be completely inserted or may have some other problem.

would usually mean dead drive.
Is it Dell?

kyjelly44

kyjelly44

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
im guessing it is unfortunate to say yes, but yes it is Dell. Any other way to tell if it is a dead drive?

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I asked about Dell, because Google gets a lot of hits about the very same error on certain Dell models.
The only way, would be to install it in another machine, which in laptop's case is not gonna be easy. You'd have find exactly same laptop.

Edited by Broni, 06 February 2009 - 07:43 PM.