Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How should i progress my career?

• Please log in to reply

CoREYZOMBiE

CoREYZOMBiE

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
So I'm 18, and a "wizz" with computers (or so say others) because i can do
the simple things, such as read, and research.

in all actuality, i just take the time to read whats happening, and "google" what i don't
really understand.

I've focused more on the malicious side of computers, and have decided to turn a new leaf so
to speak.

now that I'm 18, and the consequences would be much worse.

so i was wondering, what should i push my studies towards?

the way viruses and hacking are my more favored subjects,
but i'm looking for a way to reverse that, so that i can instead
do "Good" such as how the GTG squad does.

any advice would be great :)

Advertisements

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
Join Geek University <<link :)

This is where the GTG Squad is made :)

Of course, Geeks To Go is a volunteer thing, and you're looking for a career...

There's all kinds of things out there.. and the computer world is expanding all the time...

All I can say, is that what you choose, make sure it's something you'll be happy with and enjoy doing...

The swell in my heart from I well typed thank you is more than enough reason to want to help others...

Good Luck :)

Edited by piano9playa5, 06 February 2009 - 07:15 PM.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
You are 18 so it is time to research college! At least 2 years, but 4 is best.
Look at all of the hard working people who struggle through life because school was not for them.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

At least 2 years, but 4 is best.

i disagree that 4 year degrees are any way better....if your 2 year degree is from the right place and you can show the right skills you can get a job quicker (like me)

the way viruses and hacking are my more favored subjects,

start investigating going down the network security track...you get to utilize any and all hacking/cracking skills and learn a lot more....since you can't stop something that you don't know how to do...

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
hey CoREYZOMBiE let me know what you find. I too am looking for security related career opportunities. Though i dont have past hacking/cracking skillz I am very handy with computer working in an IT Tech Position and Getting to play with machines and the servers all the time. I have done several computer cleanups both with guidance from G2G and other sites as well as done one or two as best as I could on my own(which turned out to be very successful) as well as given others advice concerning firewalls AV/AS/AM programs and such.

But I can't seem to find any NetworkSecurity related Positions or training near home.. Dirty south is empty for such jobs. Everyone here gets their job and stays there for years upon end.. I guess its one of those gotta know the right people type deal.

by the way dsenette.. i did check out ITT tech.. they just opened a new campus near me but arent offering their BA in Network Security for the next year at least. Said they dont have the student base. I will be finishing my AS in Computer Networking this summer so next year is No help to me now..

Guess I'll look elsewhere.. may have to move to another ITT campus.. *pain*