Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer magazine

• Please log in to reply

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
I have recently stared taking lots of serious interest in computers, and i was wondering if any one had any recommendation on a physical magazine i could subscribe to. i say "physical", because i am finding that a lot of computer magazines are becoming digital. And don't get me wrong, im sure these are just as good, legitimate, and maybe more convenient for some. However, i prefer to read in my spare time, when i am not near any online resource, such as school, or a waiting room of some sort. Any Ideas?

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
This: http://www.smartcomputing.com/ may be a good start.

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
Thanks, i applied for the three free issues, but it looks pretty good :). Any other ideas?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're gonna be happy. It's probably the best magazine for an average computer user.

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
i hope. yeah, i found alot of magazines that looked cool, but some of the articles were a little over my head. for right now, anyways...

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I was a subscriber to Smartcomputing for number of years.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I subscribe to three magazines.

PC World

TechNet

CPU

Each covers a different aspect of computers and computing.

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
thanks. if i subscribe for the three free ones, do i automatically have to buy the rest, like even if i dont want them?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
about 6 or 7 years ago I subscribed to at least 8 different mags
they were all useful up to a point...

the last to go were...
computer power user http://www.computerpoweruser.com/
and maximum pc http://www.maximumpc.com/

I no longer subscribe to any...

R-C

R-C

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I currently subscribe to PC World and maximum pc like both of them.

usually on the free issues deal you have the chance to write cancel on the bill when it arrives and just keep the free trial issue or issues, but I would read the small print.

countryboypride77

countryboypride77

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Well, I just subscribed to the MaximumPC, PC World, SmartComputing, and CPU. I have soooo much to learn. I doubt if I'll keep all 4 subscriptions. I'll probably choose 2 that I like the best.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you have to bear in mind that the mags reviews can be tainted...they are not going to badmouth a product that pays for advertising in their mag ...use sites like the tech report that does a lot of benchmarking for all hardware..
same for anandtech....Tom's Hardware...[H]ard|OCP...there are others but those are all good ones...