Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IDE HDD still in PIO mode

• Please log in to reply

tushki

tushki

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi
I have an old seagate IDE HDD which i borrowed from my friend.
I already had two dvd-rom drives attached with the ide cable, so i removed one of the dvd-roms and replaced it with the IDE hard drive, then changed the jumper on the other dvd-rom to slave so that the hdd was the master.

After booting up i found my pc to be slow and the system usage(mainly hardware interrupts) spiking up to 50% whenever i tried to copy huge files into the IDE drive.
I've checked the device mgr for it to be in the DMA mode, and it shows it is in DMA mode only. I've even checked the BIOS, and it shows the IDE to be in DMA mode.

Please help! :)

My system specs are:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 2/7/2009, 13:40:47
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236)
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 2046MB RAM

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
When a drive changes it's mode to PIO mode, it's typically a sign that Windows has had issues with the drive data wise and changed it for compatibility reasons. It's most likely a sign the drive's on the way out.

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
What kind of cable are you using, 80 wire or 40 wire?

tushki

tushki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
sorry for the late reply..

I'm pretty sure i'm using a 80 wire cable..after your question i checked my cpu again and saw that the hdd was connected on the middle connector of the ide cable even though the jumper on it was on master and that of the dvd-rom was on slave, changed the positions, thought would solved the problem, but still the same..cpu spikes to 50% when copying large files..
also now the primary ide channel in the dev mgr shows that the drive(device 0) is on PIO mode!

Edited by tushki, 11 February 2009 - 09:58 AM.

Nicolet

Nicolet

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
It may not be necessarily that the drive is almost dead, it could also be the storage drivers for the motherboard, I’ve seen this happen before, look up the newest version of the drivers for IDE channels or SATA, if those wont fix it, try then older versions of the driver until one of them works. Good luck, it’s a bit of a long shot.

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
In Device Manager, right click on Primary IDE Controller and select Uninstall, then reboot and Windows will reinstall it and your DMA settings will be restored.

tushki

tushki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Same thing, it's still in PIO mode, tried uninstalling the primary channel..
still have to try Nicolet's suggestion though

Nicolet

Nicolet

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
If you want I can help you with that if you leave me the Motherboards exact make and model, you can Use CPU-ID to get that.

tushki

tushki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
@Nicolet
Thanks, i know..finding drivers can be a real pain, tried yesterday but in vain

MODEL: ASUS M2N-SLI DELUXE 1.XX
CHIPSET: NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI
S.BRIDGE: NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI
REV:A1
SENSOR: ITE 8716

Edited by tushki, 13 February 2009 - 02:31 AM.

Nicolet

Nicolet

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
You are one lucky guy, I have almost that exact same chipset (nForce 550) and had the exact same problem! You probably didn’t find the drivers on Asus because you had to look for them on nvidia’s site. For now try this one, I believe I have some older versions somewhere but I’d have to find it on my files, let me know what changes.

You should be careful with something though, make sure you save a profile of your drivers before you make the change or windows might not boot correctly, to do that right click My Pc, properties, hardware, hardware profiles.

tushki

tushki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
hey...not as lucky as you think :)

i've got the same driver running for nforce..15.23
and you said you 'had' the same problem?

Nicolet

Nicolet

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Yes, it was the same problem, when I tried to fix it I looked up older versions for the chipset and I really don’t remember which version worked because I had like 10 options, I’ve been a little busy this days and haven’t looked for the drivers, maybe you can google it up, older versions of drivers for your chipset and install the IDE ones, let me know if you can do that.

tushki

tushki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I tried what you suggested, I installed version 9.16 of the nforce ide driver(2006), but the condition is still the same.
Are you using the same driver? Did this one solve the problem?

Nicolet

Nicolet

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I’m afraid it’s impossible to me to tell you what version for the Driver I used because I don’t remember, just download as many versions of the driver you find and try them out. I know it can be a pain in the a** to do it but I solved it that way.