Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound card difficulty

• Please log in to reply

Straylight

Straylight

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hello there, wondering if someone can help me, i've just installed a new PCI sound card (plug and play thing, it came with an installation disk as well) and it's all installed and everything. I plugged my speakers in... and nothing worked. I've checked the volume controls, but nothing. I don't understand why they are not working, I fear it's something very simple i've overlooked, i'm not great with computers :tazz: if anyone could help me, i'd very much appreciate it.

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
were you using an onboard sound card originally?
first thing, go to control panel, sound and audio devices, hardware tab. under playback and recording device, see what is listed. it is probably currently set to use whatever sound you had before, such as the onboard sound. if the option is there to use the new card, select those, then hit apply. sound should now come out the new card.
let me know if you have an onboard sound, we will need to disable that after you get the new card working.