Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to shut down computer

• Please log in to reply

tjmcs

tjmcs

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
I have noticed this problem over the past week. Computer is running XP, SP3.

When I click "turn off" at the "stand by, turn off, restart", the machine does not shut down. The problem varies. Sometimes, half(?) of the system tray icons shut down and the machine stays running. Other times, by repeating the "turn off" sequence, the icons shut down one-at-a-time. Never, does the machine shut down at first "turn off".

I have two computers running XP, SP3. Both have same problem.

Strange problem, but any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
See, if you can shut down OK from Safe Mode.

If so....

Go Start>Run (Start Search in Vista), type in:
msconfig
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).

Click on Startup tab.
Click Disable all

Click Services tab.
Put checkmark in Hide all Microsoft services
Click Disable all.

Click OK.
Restart computer in Normal Mode.
See, if it'll shut down fine.

NOTE. If you use different firewall, than Windows firewall, turn Windows firewall on, just for this test, since your regular firewall won't be running.
If you use Windows firewall, you're fine.

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Thanks, Broni.

That worked. Shut down perfectly.

I guess now comes the hard part. Since we narrowed it down to either "startup" or "services", I'm thinking bring the individual parts of each one back on line one at a time till I find the one that causes the problem. Might take me a few days but I will get back to you with what I find.

One more thing...I noticed the problem right after I upgraded to Internet Explorer 8.

Thanks again,
Joe

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Cool :)

I'm thinking bring the individual parts of each one back on line one at a time till I find the one that causes the problem

That's exactly what you want to do.

IE8 is still in beta stages. I'd uninstall it. Never install betas on your main machine.

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Thank you very much.

Joe

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're very welcome :)
Keep us posted. I'd like to know, what the culprit was.

Battle Unit

Battle Unit

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Probably that wouldn't help in this case, but i recently had a similar problem, that was solved after re-installing of network adapter drivers. Strange but truth :) MAybe it helps someone

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Sorry I have not gotten back with you on this problem. I have another computer that has a major virus in it that I have been working on. I will reply with findings when able.

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Hello and thank you for waiting.

For one computer, I reinstalled the ethenet card drivers and incidentally, found an updated driver. Problem solved on that computer.

Tried the same on the other computer. Still having problems. My fault mostly. Two teenage boys downloading stuff. Ways to make your own videos and music mainly. Can't seem to get them to leave it alone till I get it fixed. I will eventually. Thank you very much for all the help.

tjmcs

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
We're still here :)