Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random problems

• Please log in to reply

8cimi

8cimi

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
So I got to borrow a pc from a friend of a friend its an HP, G-d knows when was hte last time it was used, its basically new I think.
Windows: Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer: 7.0.5730.13
Memory (RAM): 1984 MB
CPU Info: AMD Athlon™ XP 3000+
CPU Speed: 2056.3 MHz
Sound card: Realtek AC97 Audio
Display Adapters: VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD
Monitors: 1
Screen Resolution: 1024 X 768 - 32 bit
Network: Network Present
Network Adapters: VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport
CD / DVD Drives: E: SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616E | F: ASUS CRW-4832AS
COM Ports: COM3 | COM1
LPT Ports: LPT1
Mouse: 3 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 144.2GB | D: 4.8GB
Hard Disks - Free: C: 124.9GB | D: 634.5MB
USB Controllers: 5 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): 1 host controllers.
PCMCIA (Laptops): Not Installed
Manufacturer: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
Product Make: PC106A-ABA a610n
AC Power Status: OnLine
BIOS Info: AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 06/09/04 | KM400 - 42302e31
Time Zone: Eastern Standard Time
Battery: No Battery
Motherboard: ASUSTek Computer INC. Kelut
Modem: Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem

:
so before I go on to mention all the little things that have been going nuts with the pc, I will confess I did a bit of uninstalling the first day I got it, I only used the windows uninstalling program, and all uninstallations went without a problem, I unstalled things that seemed to have come "factory", like microsoft word, wich I do NOT use, never have used and never will use, anywho. I would also like to say that I have come here before (and I love this place (especially Essexboy)) so i did kinda learn a bit, one of the first things i did aside form uninstalling HP factory junk, was tried to update windows (since this pc must not have been online for over 2 years).
ok so first thing
- Pc sometimes crashes, mostly when trying to update windows/microsft or IE updates
-firefox wouldnt not install, finaly installed, worked fine, after reboot or pc crash firefox didint even to seem to be installed, I installed again and now it takes 5 min for firefox to start and it CAN NOT connect to the internet.
- (im not sure if everyone is familiar with netflix, but its a company that lets you watch movies online if you have a legit wondows or they mail them to you) When watching a movie on net flix, some type of IE error window comes up and IE crashes.
-i tried to install comodo firewall and pc would not let me according to some issue having to do with windows not updated? I tried to update up to Win pacakge 2(?)and I think i got it done.
- ( I am a dork I play online games :) ) silkroadonline will not install on my pc, error window saying the file is corrupt comes up, which I know there is nothing wrong witht the file since I tried it on another pc.

I cant think of anything else atm... did I do wrong trying to uninstall stuff? if so I want to ask can I get rid of all this HP junk ? I dont like it, and I dont use it, it bothers me, this pc had msn and aol (wich never! seems to go away!) and a ton of HP software I will never use.
I am almost certain its not a malware or adware type of problem, so I didint know where to post, I apologize if I am posting in the wrong place. I dont know what else to say or post.

thnx in advace G2G ^^
also forgot to mention the friend who let me borrow this pc did not bring me "the" disks. :)

Edited by 8cimi, 08 February 2009 - 10:50 AM.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hi there - firstly is there anything important that you wish to keep on this computer ?

What is the model of the laptop as it may have a recovery/restore partition

8cimi

8cimi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
no there is not, its clean, like I asid a friend of a frien let me borrow it, perhaps indefinately, oh and its not a labtop.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
If you give me the model though it may still have a recovery partition which would make the task easier as you do not have any disks

8cimi

8cimi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
sorry to sound like such a nooblet, but hwo do i do that? spespec? hp pavilion a 610 ?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Suits me :)

Recovery data for a clean install from the recovery partition is here

Grab an antivirus and copy to CD or USB before you do this so that you can get protected straight away

To remove junk use pc decrapifier

8cimi

8cimi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
TY Essexboy so much, ill give it a try right away, posting results soon. oh one more thing, wich anticirus, im so sry to make you post again, also should i d/l anything else onto the usb ? firewall ? anything?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Yes I would add a firewall as well - you know me I prefer Avast

At the end you should have a squeaky clean system and any problems left could be hardware

8cimi

8cimi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Yes I would add a firewall as well - you know me I prefer Avast

At the end you should have a squeaky clean system and any problems left could be hardware

=/ im trying to find an avast d/l link in the forums, cant seem to find one. ><

8cimi

8cimi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
uhmm "Disconnect all connected devices (such as the Personal Media Drive, USB drives, printer, and fax), remove media from drives, and remove any recently added internal hardware. Do not disconnect the monitor, keyboard, mouse, and power cord." I added two 1 gig sticks on this pc, do i remove that and put in the 512 stick it came with ?

also should i do destructive or system recovery?

Edited by 8cimi, 08 February 2009 - 12:08 PM.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
If there is nothing you require then go for a clean sweep and a destructive recovery

Do not disconnect the monitor, keyboard, mouse, and power cord." I added two 1 gig sticks on this pc, do i remove that and put in the 512 stick it came with ?

No there should be no problem in keeping them in

Avast

Also see this guide

8cimi

8cimi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
ok so I did the system recovery, since I got impatient wating for your reply ( no hard feelings at all, plz dont think that :) )
it gave me a bit a problem at first, but I pretty much got it running, I also decrapified it using the link you gave me, I am trying to set up comodo atm, but it says I cant install because I have service pack 1, Ill try and find this myself, and ill post asap, thnx much again Essexboy. :)

8cimi

8cimi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
ok new problem, I cant open system restore, either it dosent open or it tried to oopen and ai get a microsoft error reporting window.

8cimi

8cimi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
ok so service pack 2 will not update or install, I get an error message saying that the file is corrupt. I found the link/download myselffrom the official microsoft I also found a link here in some thread, someone having a problen using a certain service pack install file, so I tried that, same thing happened.
oh also you know the update icon on the very bottom left ? yeah its not there, and yes I turned automatic updates on.

Windows: Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 1
Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106
Memory (RAM): 1984 MB
CPU Info: AMD Athlon™ XP 3000+
CPU Speed: 2090.8 MHz
Sound card: Not detected
Display Adapters: VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD
Monitors: 1
Screen Resolution: 1280 X 1024 - 32 bit
Network: Network Present
Network Adapters: VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport
CD / DVD Drives: E: SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616E | F: ASUS CRW-4832AS
COM Ports: COM3 | COM1
LPT Ports: LPT1
Mouse: 3 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 144.2GB | D: 4.8GB | K: 111.8GB
Hard Disks - Free: C: 128.8GB | D: 634.6MB | K: 92.4GB
USB Controllers: 5 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): 1 host controllers.
PCMCIA (Laptops): Not Installed
Manufacturer: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
Product Make: PC106A-ABA a610n
AC Power Status: OnLine
BIOS Info: AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 06/09/04 | KM400 - 42302e31
Time Zone: Pacific Standard Time
Battery: No Battery
Motherboard: ASUSTek Computer INC. Kelut
Modem: Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem

:

these are my specs now after re system recovery.

Edited by 8cimi, 08 February 2009 - 06:56 PM.

8cimi

8cimi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
ok I seriously can not install/update service pack, when I click on the install file, it starts, then it fails, I get an error message, says something about the file being corrupt, I click ok, then most of the time the pc restarts. next time i try it ill take a picture or something :)