Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First Gaming build

• Please log in to reply

Samurang

Samurang

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I will be running windows xp most likely.

Here is the list of parts:

Case

Power Supply

CPU

Motherboard

Memory

Graphics

Hard Drive

Sound Card

Optical Drive/Burner
This is my first time builing a computer, so let me know if anything doesn't look like it would work or if anyone has any suggestions.

A few quesitons I have are:

1) Is the power supply the right wattage?
2) Does everything look compatible
4) Does the case seem big enough to house everything comfortably
3) Is there anything I should add or change?

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I will be running windows xp most likely.

Here is the list of parts:

Case

Power Supply

CPU

Motherboard

Memory

Graphics

Hard Drive

Sound Card

Optical Drive/Burner
This is my first time builing a computer, so let me know if anything doesn't look like it would work or if anyone has any suggestions.

A few quesitons I have are:

1) Is the power supply the right wattage?
2) Does everything look compatible
4) Does the case seem big enough to house everything comfortably
3) Is there anything I should add or change?

Everything looks fine and is compatible. Id suggest getting the next size up power supply so down the road you would not have to worry if you were borderline on the power requirements if you upgraded the video card etc.. Try to shoot for a 650 or 750 by pc power and cooling or Corsair. Just a few more bucks and you can go for a 750W with either company.

On the video card I suggest going with an nvidia gtx 260 (216 core version) as you can get one for $229 and with rebate $199. Even though the gtx 260 core 216 version has less video memory 896MB vs the ati 4870 1gb it is a faster card.

If you look at all benchmarks the nvidia 260 (216 core version) is substantially faster than the ati 4870 1gb in gaming. When I reviewed benchmarks the nvidia 260 (216 core version) was anywhere from 15%-30% faster than the ATI depending on the game.

So do not spend $25 more for the ati when it is a slower card all together. NOW if the ati 4870 was substantially cheaper meaning $150 then I could see MAYBE going that route but the price for the 4870 1gb is to much.

Go for the nvidia gtx 260 (216 core). My job is done here LMAO. Good luck on build.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130434

Edited by jrm20, 08 February 2009 - 05:11 PM.