Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black screen computer freezes randomly

• Please log in to reply

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
[bleep] you know what that could have been my problem. That would explain why it would crash only when uploading or downloading. I will try and make it crash without router this weekend, just for peace of mind so i know what was causing it.

Advertisements

scrushmaster

scrushmaster

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
I really do not think that is the problem. Just limited bandwidth cause your [bleep] to crash. LOL. Hey did you guys download the new bios version for the asus A8n-deluxe since they released it last month. Also, are any of you guys running SLI video cards.

Still so very confused about this problem!?!?!

DrJOnes666

DrJOnes666

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I still have the crash problem. I do have a Dlink card, and a Dlink router.
I know for sure how to make it crash: download a torrent, and use another computer on my network to start transfering stuff from or to my main computer. This will in no time create the crash.

No idea how to fix it yet...

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
WEll i did nothing else to my system except reformat, change to onboard nic and get a router. so its not graphic card related or anything else that is hardware...other than nic card. I guess it could have been an unknown virus since after the reformat it stopped doing it.

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Drjones666 do me a favor and try using ur onboard nic with that computer just to see if it will crash or not.

laltuna

laltuna

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok guys, I don't have a Dlink but I am using a router from Linsys (Wireless-B Access Point). On the other two computers in my network I have installed the linksys WMP11 Wireless-B PCI Adapter. I have the same crashing problem as slayer666, mainly when connecting to the internet. I can run my computer all day and edit my videos, etc., without a problem as long as I don't try connecting to the internet (This computer has the WMP11 Wireless-B PCI Adapter). The moment I try to connect to the internet using Explorer, BAM! it freezes and the darn black screen is on. For this reason I tend to believe that the guess King Cobra gave makes sense. May be your Dlink is not defective at all slayer666, but the fact that you fixed the problem by using the onboard NIC I think may be the solution. I don't think the reformatting had anything to do with the fix since I have reformatted 4 different times. Each time before reformatting I wrote zeros to my HD to make sure any possibility of the existence of a virus or anything else was completely gone. On the other hand I don't thing this issue is virus related since I have hardly used this PC to connect to the Internet and the few sites I visited are trustworthy. Regardless of this clean up the problem continued.
Here is how my network is configured:
UMAX 350 Mhz -- Equipped with the WMP11 Wireless-B PCI Adapter
AOPEN 550 Mhz -- Equipped with the Linksys Wireless-B Access Point and . This is the main computer. I do have the Verizon DSL modem connected to my router and the router -of course- to this PC.
AMD 64 (The new PC with Asus A8V Deluxe) Equipped with theWMP11 Wireless-B PCI Adapter. But the crash only occurs with the AMD 64 and not with the other ones. This of course, raises the question, why doesn't my UMAX crash? Why does that screen never goes black? This is what causes me to think that there is an issue with the combination we all have (AMD 64 processor, Asus motherboard, and Radeon ATI graphics card and or some BIOS settings). At the beginning I thought it was my Radeon 9600XT causing the problem. I thought this because of the warning that ATI gives you in the installation instructions "It is VERY IMPORTANT that the correct AGP Driver be installed before installing an AGP video card in your system. AN INCORRECT OR MISSING GART DRIVER CAN RESULT IN AGP MEMORY NOT BEING DETECTED OR A BLACK SCREEN AFTER WINDOWS LOADS."
But since the computer runs well as long as I don't connect to the internet then that ruled that possibility out. This weekend I will remove the AMD 64 PC from the network and I will connect the modem directly to it and will run it as a standalone to see what happens. If everything works well then I will know that it has something to do with the network equipment (PCI adapter and router and or settings).
I Will make a post on my findings by Monday. I pretty much believe that soon enough we will find the answer that we are all looking for. We are in the right track. Let's keep it up guys! :tazz:

DrJOnes666

DrJOnes666

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

WEll i did nothing else to my system except reformat, change to onboard nic and get a router. so its not graphic card related or  anything else that is hardware...other than nic card. I guess it could have been an unknown virus since after the reformat it stopped doing it.

View Post

Today, I crashed 4 times while trying to transfer files from my main computer to another computer on my network. The four times, I crashed either because I started to use internet, or because I was viewing and sorting photos (accessing HD a lot).

So I decided it was time to try and fix this thing [bleep]! :-) So I did what Slayer666 suggested I try:
I have now disabled my wireless DLINK card and hooked up a cable from my onboard nic to my Dlink wireless router.

My IP now has changed (as was expected) from 192.168.0.101 to 192.168.0.100 .

I then proceed to try and make my computer crash.

a) I tried transfering lots of files from my main computer to my other computer on the network. While the transfer was happening, I tried using internet and also tried to view photos on my computer to sort them (as it previously crashed the computer 10 minutes before I made the change). What happened now? Nothing. No crash. Transfers worked fine, AND they also were faster.

b) I tried to crash it while using Azureus (transfering a file DL and UL). While Azureus was working, I started transfering three folders of files from my external machine on my network to my main machine. My main machine didn't crash (this test was something I could always do to make the machine crash).

So far so good... No crash.
I will keep this setup for a few days and try my best to make the machine crash.

It does look like the DLINK card I was using is defective...
Could it be that simple? And would this mean that all of us experiencing this problem are because of defective DLINK cards (or an incompatibility with DLINK and our motherboard?).

One more thing I wondered though... Maybe the change of IP fixed the problem... Maybe if I was to use my DLINk card but on another IP, resetting soemthing in the router, then maybe it would also have fixed the problem? Does this make sense?

DrJOnes666

Edited by DrJOnes666, 15 July 2005 - 04:15 PM.

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Cool man im glad we kinda figured it out. I think is either like you said dlink not compatible with our mobo or the ip address/settings that were crashing the computer. Because it did seem like the router fixed my problem right away but I reformatted and switched to onboard nic only couple days after router, mainly because I had it in my head to do all of this anyway. Its just so odd cuz I had that dlink card in old computer and no probs at all.

DrJOnes666

DrJOnes666

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I did another test today:

1) re-activated my wireless DLINK nic card
2) forced a NEW IP with my router onto my wireless card.
3) started transfering stuff from computer B (on my network) to computer A (main computer that usually crashes)
4) started Azureus; transfers dl/up.
5) started to transfer files from computer A (main) to computer B. This is the ultimate test (always crashes). And then BAM!! CRASH!!!

6) I reboot. Disable the wireless nic card. Plug-in cable into motherboard nic card.

7) Now that I am using the onboard wire nic card, I redo the test above, exact same procedure. PLUS, I open my email agent and I come here to write this message. And as I write this, no crash.

My diagnosis:
Either the DLINK wireless card I am using is defective (to know, I'd have to test it in another computer). Or either the dlink card I have is incompatible with something in my machine.

My conclusion:
I'm getting a new wireless nic card.

Speaking of getting a new wireless card... DLINK advertises X-TREME G speed (108mps through compression I think, instead of regular 54 wireless G). Do all cards that advertise 108 through compression use the same compression? Meaning, if I get a card from another company than Dlink, will I get 108mps, or I can only use Dlink Nics with Dlink Router to achieve that speed? It would be a shame... I'd prefer not to buy another DLINK card, just in case it is also incompatible with my machine...

DrJOnes666

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
WEll i guess that solves it then....the dlink cards are just not compatible with either our mobos or the amd 64bit cpu. Well im glad we solved it after a few months jeeez what an odd problem. Anyone else with this problem that posted try and use ur onboard nic or another nic...it should solve ur problem.

Advertisements

nzblah

nzblah

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I seem to be having the same problem. My computer will randomly lockup for a few seconds then flick to a black screen. Most of the time i can continue working but sometimes the computer restarts.

Sometimes mine gets really bad and does it every 5 secs.

My Specs:

AMD 64 4000+
ASUS 6800Ultra 256mb ddr3 (Single card not SLI)
2GB DDR 400 Ram (Corsair 4x512mb 2-2-2-5 Timings)
Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI
Thermaltake 480w PSU
2x 160gb SATA
4x 250gb SATA

I dont think my powersupply provides enough power so i have unplugged 3 of the drives. (Im in the process of getting a bigger PSU)

I running windows XP SP2, Updated mobo bios, latest nvidia drivers.

My computer also seems to have randomly added 11mhz to the clock speed since i got it??? i dont no how to set it back to the orignal settings.

I have also run memtest86 on each ram chip without error.

Edited by nzblah, 17 July 2005 - 07:08 PM.

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Umm i think ur prob might be a little different actually....i was never able to keep working and the computer would never restart by itself. We have also figured out that it is internet/nic related.

AntonyG

AntonyG

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am also getting this same problem. Random black screen. I have been getting it when I have been away from the computer and it goes into power save mode.

This is actually my second A8N-SLI mobo the last one I returned because of similar problems that only seemed to occur at a cold startup of the PC. After waiting 6 weeks I got a replacement. Now this black screen is happening.

I have been using the onboard nic. Which was, as I found out by trial an error the casue of my last problem. When I installed a generic Intel nic card I didn't get the original problem.

Now I am testing again with the Intel NIC so see if it stops the problem. I am using a NetGear ADSL router with one other computer.

I will post again if this has solved it.

A

AMD 64 +3200
ASUS A8N-SLI
Albertron 6600GT POIe
2 x 512
2 x Segate 220 SATA HDD

Edited by AntonyG, 19 July 2005 - 03:04 AM.

nzblah

nzblah

• Pip
  • 3 posts
are you using dual channel memory by any chance? i have 2 sets of match pairs i had them installed mis matched. did a complete reinstall and havent had a problem since.

i only have 1 hdd installed atm and im using different drivers so its just a guess at the dc ram.

AntonyG

AntonyG

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Not sure what Ram I'm using it was pretty generic. I'll keep that in mind while trial and error a fix.