Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black screen computer freezes randomly

• Please log in to reply

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
yep that pretty much eliminates bad hardware, prime don't check the video card though but I don't see that as a issue.

it could still be the nic or modem or software like a driver

we'll see what Samm thinks

Advertisements

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
yeah especially since i can run games for hours and have no problems. I actually just tried the usb connection and couldnt get it to work..im gonna check for new usb modem drivers tonight. I did get it to just freeze twice in a row by running just DC++ and its seems that when i start to upload and download a lot at the same time is when it will freeze on me. So its gotta be nic card or modem.

Falken

Falken

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Great news!!!

kinda..

I have the exact same problem that you do.. I've attempted most of the things that have been suggested here to no avail.

One thing I should mention is that I am using Mozilla Firefox, and do not use D++ (but do use other programs, ie azureus)

And as I did not change anything prior to this (any hardware) and everything worked fine before... I'm guessing its some kind of software issue

Either some form of malware, or something to do with a recently installed program.

See if you find any correlation with recently installed software:
Matlab 7.0.1
Still Life
Boiling Point
HP printer drivers
O&O defrag
Daemon Tools
Adobe Acrobat 6 Pro

thats all thats new since my last format (and i had none of this freezing then)

so, if its not on that list, i'm prepared to chalk it up to some evil thing that floated off the internet

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Thank you finally someone else with this prob. Ok i have Hp drivers installed, Daemon tools and acrobat. But none of these programs are running when it freezes on me. Mine seems to only do it with DC or explorer running...and seems to be related to uploading or downloading files. Does your mouse freeze for 2-3secs then the screen goes black? I can restart by pushing button but thats it. My fans and lights are still running but its just like my computer stops sending signal to monitor.

Falken

Falken

• Pip
  • 5 posts
yup, thats exactly it..

I seem to play games with no problems, but when it comes to browsing, I'll get the occasional mouse freeze (and disappear from screen).. screen blanks out black, but things still seem to be running ok

One thing I noticed is that it tends to do it more often while I'm viewing .pdf's from within firefox.

hmmm.. are you using a certain codec pack? or any plug-in related to browsing?

Im just thinking that it might be possible that pop-up ads are doing this.. not malicious pop-ups per se (if you can even pretend thats true for a minute.. hehe) but that something within them, or even webpage content is causing the freeze.

Falken

Falken

• Pip
  • 5 posts
WHOA, actually.. ONE thing I think that correlates with this pretty well is MSN7

I recently upgraded to the new msn7 (from the previous msn 7 beta)... and only then did this start... again, involves the internet.. hmmm

but you think something like this would be a more widespread problem with something as widely used as msn

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
yeah, you know what it might be some kinda pop up thing because i shut off microsofts built in one and have google toolbar installed. And sometimes i hear the pop up blocker sound going off even before i run explorer. I have nimo light codec pack which has a few different codecs in it. but i think it was freezing before i installed that. I also have xp antispy to shut down a few built in microsoft things. this is drivin me nuts though jeez.

Falken

Falken

• Pip
  • 5 posts
me too.. i'm ready to format as soon as i've got some spare time.. its silly though, because i just formatted a couple months ago

EDIT: one last thing to try (and probably the first i should have tried).. updating to the newest display drivers

Edited by Falken, 24 May 2005 - 09:15 PM.

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Yeah I dont have msn 7 on mine nor do I use it so I doubt thats the problem(unless the microsoft update does it because I do have most recent updates)...but like you said it still involves the internet. I might try to reformat tomorrow....then ill just install DC++ and use internet explorer for a couple days to see if it still does it...if it does then its prob something to do with nic card, modem or internet service...ill only stick to well known safe sites to make sure I dont pick up any spyware/maleware.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Out of interest then, go to start->run & type msconfig
Click on the startup tab of msconfig & tell us what appears in that list. If this doesn't shed any light, I may ask you to do a hijack this log, but start with msconfig for now.

Advertisements

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
under startup tab:

aim
atiptaxx
daemon
adgjdat
nbj
nerocheck
updreg
cthelper
adobe gamma loader

The thing is i have all of them unchecked so none of startup with my computer.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

under startup tab:

aim
atiptaxx
daemon
adgjdat
nbj
nerocheck
updreg
cthelper
adobe gamma loader
The thing is i have all of them unchecked so none of startup with my computer.

View Post

OK, we can rule that option out then, as you have already disabled them. Can you just confirm for me whether this problem occurs when you have IE ONLY running or DC ONLY running, as opposed to the pair of them running together?

Also, it may be worth doing a hijackthis log & posting it here. If theres any major problems with it, you will probably have to get it sorted out by the malware forum but I know enough to tell you whether you have a major problem or not.
Make sure you shutdown all IE windows and other net related apps before running hijackthis. Do not make any changes in hijackthis either, just post the log here.

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
my computer will freeze with either DC or IE open it doesnt have to be the pair, but it will freeze with both open too. I noticed that DC seems to do it a lot quicker then IE and it seems to be related with uploading to people more than downloading. When i hit refresh on IE or go to new page is when it freezes....its still random though sometimes im surfing for 5min and other times im on there for 60min. If i dont have DC or IE open everything runs fine for days and days..so its gotta be the nic card or modem right? or maybe i do have some crazy software problem.

Here is my hijack report:
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 3:39:43 PM, on 5/25/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\GB\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O16 - DPF: {0E5F0222-96B9-11D3-8997-00104BD12D94} (PCPitstop Utility) - http://pcpitstop.com...p/PCPitStop.CAB
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupd...b?1116092462828
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai...all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoft.../as5/asinst.cab
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: RadClock - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\RadClock.exe

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Looks OK. You could try this though :
wscnty.exe is a MS security feature (part of sp2). It checks continuously for firewall & AV updates etc. Turn it off by control panel->security centre->alert settings. Disable everything in there.
Also disable the windows firewall if you have it enabled.

See if that makes any difference.
Did you install your modem via the USB port in the end or is it still connected via the NIC?

Falken

Falken

• Pip
  • 5 posts
New ATI Omega Drivers, and the comp has been stable on 24/7 since my last post