Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What is this folder?

• Please log in to reply

London Beat

London Beat

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi,

this folder in the rout of my f:\ partition (system) is bugging me :) : ef547a330e343be528825dba20c24afe inside has 2 folders: amd64 and i386, in these there are some dll´s files and other extensions, it seems like drivers, so what is this? :) can i delete it? :)

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Pretty sure its related to windows updates, so I wouldn't delete it

London Beat

London Beat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thanks

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello London Beat

they are REQUIRED for the install of Windows x64 Edition-based operating system

The AMD64

The layout of the x64 Edition-based version of Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP installation CD-ROM has changed. The primary installation folder for Windows x64 Editions is the AMD64 folder. However, the i386 folder still exists and contains files that are required to install the Windows x64 Edition-based operating system. Therefore, before you can successfully start the installation of the Windows x64 Edition operating system either locally or from a network share, you must make sure that the AMD64 folder and the other folders that are contained on the Windows x64 Edition installation CD-ROM are either copied locally or copied to the network share

Enjoy!!

Good luck
&
Happy Computing

Anthony19

Edited:

PS: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896334 <<--- More Info can be found here

PSS: Don't Delete :)

Edited by Anthony19, 12 February 2009 - 06:30 AM.

London Beat

London Beat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
So i shouldn´t delete the folder because is needed to install the x64 windows? but i have no intention to do that at least in the near future.

Please explain because i don´t know almost nothing about x64 windows except that the fact they support more Ram than the x32 bits versions, up to 16 gt of ram, me thinks.

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Quiet extensive explanation can be found @ http://www.softwaret...-bit-processors

About 32bit VS 64bit

Enjoy!!

Anthony19